Menu

Okay, how does this look for an 11 year old?

Our winter/spring term plans...

Language Arts:

Brave Writer; Soaring with Spelling & Vocab; Grammar-Land

Math:

Life of Fred and Zacarro

History:

OUP's Ancient Greek World; Famous Men of Greece (haven't decided yet on the Greenleaf Press version or the Memoria Press version). He'll be making a main lesson book (Waldorf style) to go with Famous Men.

Science:

Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way, with the Quest guides

Art & Music Studies:

Piano lessons; National Art Gallery's Activity Book (appreciation & hands-on); Classical Composers Monthly

Other:

Fencing; studying for the National Mythology Exam; lots of free reading; Outdoor Hour Challenges; listening to good literature w/his sister; Richard Halliburton's Complete Book of Marvels (geography)

Does this look pretty well balanced?

This looks awesome! I think he will really enjoy this lineup. We are either using or contemplating many of the same materials. The only significant difference is that we are using WWS for writing. I am not at all familiar with Bravewriter, so I'm not knocking it at all - I just know that *I* needed the guidance in WWS in order to teach academic writing. So we do WWS 4 days a week, and creative writing on Fridays.

It looks fine to me. The only thing I would suggest is making the main lesson book using just a few of the biographies from FMOG and adding in some things learned from the other history book, the materials studied for the National Mythology Exam and maybe even the science book. FMOG is a bit dry and I would worry that a MLB of nothing other than ancient Greek biographies would soon become tedious to a boy of 11. :)