Menu

Anyone use HWOT Pre K..what all do I need? Doing AAR Pre 1

Blessed with seven

Regarding HWOT Pre-K -- it depends on your child's fine motor skills (I had one in each camp.) If your son has good control of a crayon, just the Pre-K book will be enough. If he could use some extra help, then you can buy some of the bells and whistles that HWOT offers for Pre-K (we got the small chalkboard slate, my son loved it, and it was enough to bring him up to speed.)

We like and use the many manipulatives. Our favorites are the slate, stamp and see screen, and the wooden letters. My youngest will do HWOT pre K next years and most likely those three with the workbook would be enough. We have the roll a dough letters as well and she loves them but you could get by without.

Okay...so the slate, wooden letters and the workbook? Do you need the Teachers Books? The workbook is the My First School Book?

I think if you have never used the program before the TG is helpful. It explains the activities and helps you understand what the program is and how to get the most out of it. Also, it just isn't that much money to make yourself buy it. I may be odd but I use the stamp and see more than any other manipulative. I teach all the letters on it.

I recently asked this same question, especially since the PreK instructor's manual is new and I thought many people may not have experience with it yet. My daughter is in occupational therapy and I expected handwriting to be a challenge, which is what attracted me to the program in the first place. What I ended up getting was the workbook, teacher's manual, and slate. The book has a pattern to make the wooden shapes and I just made some out of laminated cardstock at home and it works just as well. So those are my recommendations.