Menu

Singapore My Pals Are Here Science?

Mama2two

Any reviews on the Singapore My Pals Are Here science?

I would like some supplemental science for the kids to read and down on their own (3rd grade). They ahve Evan Moore Daily Science which they like, but I would like something a little more meaiter.

Is it just open and go? Are there experiments, what are they like and how often?

Do you need the instructor manual? It is pricey!

My DD enjoyed them (the older edition- 5A/5B, 6A/6B etc). I will say that just as a book to read, the textbooks are fine, but the "meat" of the program is actually in the activity books, workbook and tests-which are HARD. There's a lot more instruction which is expected beyond the textbook.

I had both student books and teacher's editions, and I'd say that if I had to choose, I'd do the MCT thing and buy just the teacher's edition because those sidebars of extra information for the teacher in addition to the complete student text are valuable. If you need to, cover them with post-its.

They've just gone to a new version if you're buying from Singaporemath.com

I don't think you'd get much from just reading the student book and doing the activity book. I think if that were your approach, you'd be better off just getting science books from the library on a topic.

We used MPH 3/4 and are in 5/6 now. I love the material, but I think you'd lose a lot of the challenge by not using all components. I think the text/activity alone is weak. Do activities/discussion from the TG, read additional books, do the HW, HOTS, and Tests, and I think it's a seriously solid foundation.

You might check out Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding (BFSU). It's also a good bit of work, but it's much cheaper (especially if you get the ebook).

We did MPH 5/6 with the activity book, HW, and HOTS. I didn't get the TG because of the cost and found that the HW and especially the HOTS assumed background knowledge not in the textbook. I don't know if that is provided in the TG or not. My DD was using MPH with Prentice-Hall Science Explorer so she could usually find the necessary information in her PHSE textbook. But I would think it would be pretty frustrating for a student who is only using MPH by itself.

I don't think I would recommend MPH Science for that reason.

I was looking at the new version this week, but they don't have a lot of samples up yet (no samples of text itself). Has anyone purchased it yet? I'd like to hear reviews when someone does. They don't appear to have the HOTS books anymore, so is that stuff built into the program now? Or did they just get rid of all of it?

Thanks everyone, didn't realize there were all those extra parts? I was looking in Singapore.com, all I saw was the textbook, activity book and teacher manual. Maybe boscopup is right and they combined everything? I was going to get textbook and activity book but not the teacher's manual b/c of the cost.

Anyone use this newer version? Would love a review and thought if the teacher manual is necessary.