Menu

Saxon Phonics Intervention vs. LOE

stm4him

My second child who is 8 but is in 2nd grade this year due to being held back when he was younger for maturity and a fine motor delay, is having a hard time with Logic of English. Actually he is doing very well and understands it but he has a hard time with how long the lessons are taking. So I have two options. I can either break it up over 2 years or I can switch to something like Phonics Intervention from Saxon which would take grammar off his plate this year. But I was wondering if that would make any difference in the length of lessons. He also isn't really behind or below grade level in reading or spelling but I figure it moves faster than Saxon Phonics 2 and he would need to be able to get through the basics very quickly. For grammar he is memorizing his CC memory work and I could just pull some of that into our discussions and sentences (find the prepositions, helping verbs, and linking verbs, etc.) and then go back to LOE next year.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

If he is not struggling with reading or spelling, what is your reason for wanting to do Phonics intervention?

I am taking my 11 year old through PI (on lesson 67 out of 100, yay!) because phonics didn't "stick" the first hundred ways I taught it, and he learned to read by sight. He was struggling with multi-syllable words and his spelling was beyond terrible. Saxon PI has been wonderful for him because it systematically teaches how words can be broken down into sounds. I love that it has a workbook - the coding is extremely helpful for him. This was missing in other stuff I tried, like AAS. The spelling is actually an optional part of PI; we use it because it takes a couple minutes and he needs it, but it is really just used to reinforce phonics and not to memorize words. We do most of our spelling work on the sight words.

I haven't used/seen Logic of English so I can't compare them.

Can you lay out for me how much you cover per when you stretch LOE out that long? Do you set a timer or are there natural breaks you use? Right now we do phnograms and exploring sounds in one day, spelling list and activities one day, and all the part three stuff on the third day. We do nearly all the optional stuff too.

Andrea, how long does SPI take per lesson? I think phonics and spelling are important all through elementaryand I am liking Saxon K and 1 with my younger two so I thought I would like it for him, too as long as it moves fast enough and the lessons are not too long.

Another option would be to just skip out on the grammar parts of LOE -- that's what I am doing for the most part with my DD ths year. My plan is to study spelling intensively this year, and have more of a focus on grammar next year. The phonics/spelling part of LOE is really pretty independent of the grammar.

Andrea, how long does SPI take per lesson? I think phonics and spelling are important all through elementaryand I am liking Saxon K and 1 with my younger two so I thought I would like it for him, too as long as it moves fast enough and the lessons are not too long.

We spend a lot of time spelling the sight words as they are tested often (once a week or so) and my son has a lot of trouble spelling them. We spell sight words and review picture cards every day. We review vocab and affixes every few days. I leave out the spelling cards because that technique just doesn't work with my son's issues and doesn't help him, and the letter cards don't feel necessary. Doing the cards can take 5-15 minutes depending on how much work we do with the sight words. Just the lesson and worksheet takes maybe 15-30 minutes but my son is not a fast worker.

It does start off really easy in the beginning but moves quickly.