Menu

Lively latin or Latina Christiana?

NotSoObvious

We didn't like Latin Prep. I didn't like the way it was laid out and I felt like it moved too fast. I need something systematic, open and go, with built in review.

The girls are in 5th grade. They've had a few weeks of Latin Prep.

Do I get Lively Latin and plan on doing the 2 books through 8th grade, then starting a modern language (or continuing high school latin).

OR do I do Latina Christiana this year and into next, then use first form and second form for 7th and 8th? (We are secular homeschoolers, but at this point, I just want the easiest program to use. I don't care what they are memorizing as far as religion.)

What would I do for high school from each of those programs?

Latina Christiana teaches Ecclesiastical pronunciation. Does it matter?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I did Prima Latina and Latina Christiana I with my older boys and found that it was extremely boring, and it was just a lot of memorizing without a lot of understanding. Now, I did use it without the dvds. Maybe if I had used the dvds it would have been better. I switched the second ds to LL for 5th and 6th, LP for 7th grade and then Visual Latin in 8th grade. I liked that progression and plan on continuing it with my younger kids. Dd is just finishing LL 1 now. My 8yo will start LL in 4th grade.

So my advice to you is to do LL books over 5-7th grades, then VL in 8th. I'd avoid LC if I were you, but I know that some people like it, so YMMV.

Latina Christiana I and First Form Latin (I haven't used the other Forms yet) are very much systematic and open-and-go - as long as you use the DVD's. I tried LC without the DVD's and was completely lost, so I got them and we backed up and it worked SO much better! I would also recommend using the review worksheets for LC and the weekly quizzes and tests for FFL; they provide the necessary review. LC has some memorized prayers, but FFL doesn't - it focuses strictly on grammar, vocab and translation.