Menu

Chess Software Recommendations

My 12yo son loves to play chess and is pretty good at it. But he's ready to learn more strategy. What computer software, Kindle app or video game would you recommend to help hone his chess skills? (The last software we bought was Fritz & Chester, many years ago, and he has advanced well beyond that.)

He isn't into competitive chess (yet), so he doesn't have a rating. And, although I know the basics of how to play chess, I'm no chess expert, so I don't know what level he's at, except to say he beats me every time. I guess he's beyond a beginner, maybe at a low/intermediate level, where he knows some opening/closing moves and other strategies, but would like to learn more to be able to participate in chess competitions. He doesn't spend hours a week playing chess, but does attend a weekly chess club for about 2 hours w/ some friends. I believe they just play chess without anyone teaching them any strategy, and a few of the friends are pretty good, so they've been informally showing my son some strategies. Does that help give you an idea of his level?

Thanks

If your son wants to do competitive chess, don't wait, there is no magic level where they are ready for tournaments.

At this level, you goals should be learning

Very basic Principles of chess

Very basic endgame

No opening what so ever until your rating is well over 1300

A lot of tactics and I mean a lot.

Thinking process, this one is hard but a must

Analyzing your games with a coach or computer engine

Chessmaster is a good software to play chess with the computer for beginners, it has different personalities. it does a decent analysis of game.

tchess pro for ipad is good

No matter what software you use, you need to understand that it will not help him improve a lot unless he is learning on the side using books, training CDS, and DVD lessons. If you have a coach it is even better. Most softwares after Friz and Chester are desinged to play and analysis chess games rather than teach chess.

Russian Chess School by Roman Lab series

Chess training CDs through Peshk

Chess book recommendation

Thanks

If your son wants to do competitive chess, don't wait, there is no magic level where they are ready for tournaments.

At this level, you goals should be learning

Very basic Principles of chess

Very basic endgame

No opening what so ever until your rating is well over 1300

A lot of tactics and I mean a lot.

Thinking process, this one is hard but a must

Analyzing your games with a coach or computer engine

Chessmaster is a good software to play chess with the computer for beginners, it has different personalities. it does a decent analysis of game.

tchess pro for ipad is good

No matter what software you use, you need to understand that it will not help him improve a lot unless he is learning on the side using books, training CDS, and DVD lessons. If you have a coach it is even better. Most softwares after Friz and Chester are desinged to play and analysis chess games rather than teach chess.

Russian Chess School by Roman Lab series

Chess training CDs through Peshk

Chess book recommendation

Wow! Thank you SO much for your awesome recommendations and links to other resources. As you can probably tell, I am out of my element here, so I really needed some specific guidance. I didn't know about any of these books, websites or other resources. Thanks again for sharing your expertise! :)

I'll let my ds answer later this afternoon.

Fritz and Chesster is a good program for beginners.

Since your ds is likes chess, I'd suggest that he join the USCF (U S Chess Federation). There are loads of scholastic tournaments that have kids at all levels -- even beginners. Once he has a USCF membership and participates in a USCF tournament, he will get a rating. It's a great motivator -- the results of the games you play are published online, along with all kinds of charts and statistics. IMO, the sooner a chess-loving kid gets into competition, the better. USCF has tournament listings:

http://www.uschess.org/tlas/upcoming.php

If your ds has seen Searching for Bobby Fisher (great chess movie), do let him know that most local chess is not that competitive!