Menu

Orthodontist hounding me!

NotSoObvious

I took my girls to the orthodontist about a year ago just to make sure they didn't need anything right away, even though my dentist assured me they were fine. The orthodontist said they had great teeth, their ortho needs would be purely cosmetic and optional, and that until they lost more teeth, there wasn't anything to do. He said to check back in a year to 18 months.

Well, they've each only lost one tooth since then and nothing else has changed. Is been one year. I have gotten three emails from the office wanting me to schedule an appointment immediately, per the ortho's instructions. Three emails! Do I call and say we are waiting? Ignore them until we are ready? What?

We are a little over the top with dental care since my mom is our hygienist, so it's not like I'm going to miss something huge and their dentist is perfectly capable of referring us when it is time. They are only 10 and have several more teeth to lose.

I do NOT want to get into ortho prematurely because of a scammy office! (Although the office comes highly recommended.) We can't afford it right now.

How do you handle all of this ortho stuff? Should I ignore them? Call them and say, "Don't call me, I'll call you?" I hate feeling guilty for not taking them in, but I'm 100% sure it's unecessary at this point.

I'd email back and ask to be removed from their email list. Then I'd call and tell the person that answered you are concerned due to the over the top emails. Ask them to make sure you've been removed from their emailing list. Also inform the person that there have been no significant changes and you will contact them when the time is appropriate.

Guest inoubliable

Create a rule sending the emails to your spam folder? We did this when a dentist that we used to go to wouldn't stop emailing us years after we'd moved from the area. And phone calls to them would just have them hounding us about coming in for a cleaning or "just to check on things".