Menu

Radio Shack electronic lab

For 11yo who loves snap circuits. I read the 2 included booklets by Forest Sims are great. Can anyone recommend or review this?

http://m.radioshack....ductId=3814337"

The photo looks like it's only a corner of the actual board. I think it's the same as this listing. My son has been using one of these kits in a coop class. He's 10 and is having a great time. I was very impressed when I went to buy the kit. It has a good quality breadboard in the center and a lot of components. I can't say how much is following the projects in the kit and how much is the teacher, but my son has been learning a lot.

It requires more dexterity than Snap Circuits, but is the real deal for components. You will want to add a zip lock bag or a small plastic container (like a small tacklebox or box for beading materials. Even one of those flip top boxes for a week of pills might work.

My son received that electronics lab last year. My FIL (a retired electrician) and my DH (engineer) were both very impressed with it. DS loved it and learned so much.

Several months after DS received this, my husband's co-worker gave DS his childhood electronics lab. The box was actually wooden and caked in dust! But everything still worked great.

My son received that electronics lab last year. My FIL (a retired electrician) and my DH (engineer) were both very impressed with it. DS loved it and learned so much.

Several months after DS received this, my husband's co-worker gave DS his childhood electronics lab. The box was actually wooden and caked in dust! But everything still worked great.

Do you think my son can figure it out and learn from it on his own? Using the manuals? Thanks.

Do you think my son can figure it out and learn from it on his own? Using the manuals? Thanks.

I would think it depends on the interest level.

My son was very interested, so used it on his own at age 10. He understood the manuals, then wanted more and more electronics books and parts and pieces. For our son, it fueled a huge developmental leap and set off a major hobby.

I, on the other hand, am not interested and have struggled to understand any of it, despite my 'mature' age.

Yes, but the reading is a technical reading. He needs to go slow and understand what is being said before doing it. Also there are diagrams that need to be followed. Attention to detail is important. Patience and following explicit directions is important.