Menu

Note from local group re:transcripts

The original question had to do with grading scale. I thought this was pertinent to those already writing transcripts:

For a few years I worked in admissions at a top-tier school. The variety of grading systems and scales at schools around the country was fascinating. I recall poring over school profiles to ensure that I was being fair by trying to get the most complete possible picture of the school, the difficulty of courses and grading. My best advice is to be as clear as possible without being verbose (at many schools a complete application is likely to receive 20 minutesor less of attention - brevity and clarity are key). For example, you may consider providing percentage and letter grade. I also did not see very many homeschools offering a "school profile". Just a one or two page, nicely formatted (subheads for each section) document that explains what qualifies as honors, ap; whether grades are ranked; how your student's SAT scores compare to a distribution at the local high school (you should be able to request their profile). A document like that would have been hugely helpful to me. Here's a link that might help you develop your own profile: http://www.ugadm.northwestern.edu/counselors/hsprofile/

The most challenging aspect of assessing homeschoolers applications was when you couldn't place a student's numbers in the perspective of the quality of their education. What did it take to earn an "A"? Did reading Romeo & Juliet count as a whole semester of a Shakespeare elective? Or did the student complete much more than her public school counterparts? This was especially hard to determine when grades did not match up with other areas of an application (essay writing, quality of curriculum/reading list, test scores). The entire package is so important. Grades are only a part of the picture. Other times there was too much information given (hard to believe a student had enough time to play every sport, debate, feed the homeless, take 300 credits...etc.) Integrity is so important. Also brevity. Do not include everything your child has done since grade school! :) All of the good stuff can distract from what is really great about your student and obscure the reasons your child should be admitted.

April

~~~~~~~~~

I think April's advice is worth consideration.

I will say that thousands of homeschoolers have been accepted at all major universities....many with scholarships to boot.....without lots of extra info.

Things are changing in the admissions process. Everyone is learning more and more about how admissions offices are looking at everyone's applications these days. I really think the private schools, in an attempt to make their kids look stellar, have skewed the process.

As April says, integrity is so important! That is certainly the key. Homeschoolers were told years ago to be cautious not to submit too much. It is seen as overkill.

The link could give some good ideas. Of course, not all the items apply ;-)

Sharon

Sharon is the moderator of the yahoo group. She has at least one daughter currently in college that she homeschooled all the way through.

Thank you for posting this! I do think the overall picture is important.

I've already submitted my dd's grades to the private school we've enrolled them in, but I find grades so subjective. An "A" in some classes is not the same as an "A" in calculus or physics or an honors English course.

Thanks for posting this note for us!