Menu

Is this normal? Math

Susie in MS

My dd has always had difficulties with math. She doesn't memorize math facts easily AT ALL. In fact she does her math copy work absentmindedly. When I have her write facts by looking at dominoes such as 5 dots plus 2 dots equals 7 dots, etc she will write them then promptly forget them.

We use hands on methods and she gets it. She understands what is going on, but then it won't translate to paper very well at all. Sooooooo we use different things. What ever works best at the time.

BUT here is my latest problem:

All of a sudden my 7 yo, who has known how to count to 100 since she was 5, is starting to go 9, 6, 7. WHAT!? If this was just once I wouldn't worry. But this has been happening all this week when she is doing her addition problems. For example the problem will be 9+2. So she will count up. Instead of saying 9, 10, 11. she will say 9, 6, 7.

What in the world!? Do kids do go through some weird phase or something?

Sometimes my son loses his brain like that. It's weird. I think it's normal though.

As far as the rest of the math issue, I'd keep the manipulatives handy and let her use them as much as she needs to right now. When she know longer needs them, she'll stop using them.

I don't think my oldest would learn anything from math copywork. He mentally checks out when doing any type of copywork. He needs to have something to *do* with the material while copying, or it just gets mindlessly copied and he has no idea what he just copied (perfectly).