Menu

Creating Curriculum Kindergarten

Guest MamaMerson

Guest MamaMerson

Hello all!

This is my first post ever, I am new to this site, and new to homeschooling. My husband and I decided to send our son to public school for Kindergarten just "for fun", we knew we wanted to homeschool but our son was also interested in riding the bus and checking out the school....unfortunately this experiment failed and we are pulling him out after the winter break.

I have to write a 1 page 'curriculum' for the school. Does anyone have any suggestions for a newbie? What do they want to see?

I look forward to getting a lot of use out of these forums!

thanks,

mama merson

Welcome!

Are you in the US or another country? Do you have standards of your country or state for K? It would be nice to have a model of what they are looking for. Barring that can you ask them to see an example of what they would like to have from you? A one page curriculum is awfully general!

If you're in the US I feel I can better help even without a model but I'm thinking you might not be given your school is requiring a curriculum when you withdraw. I've never heard of that requirement here.

Generally though if I could find a list of educational standards in my area (country or state) I would basically list those standards and the curriculum I had selected (or might select). If you don't have that I would list the subjects I was covering (phonics, math, etc.) and the curriculum I planned to use for those subjects. For topics like social studies and science I'd probably break that down into the specific topics I might cover. Do you think they are looking for more than that?

I would look up the benchmark maps for each quarter for my state (basically just the standards broken down into goals for each quarter). Then I would just list those off as goals. I have the ones for K my state saved as word docs if you want to see those. Let me know and I can send them to you. Not sure how much it differs by state though. I am in Hawaii.

I know in some places you have to turn in your "plan" but sometimes it can be as simple as just "I plan to teach math, handwriting, phonics, literature, history, science, health, art and PE." I know that sounds absurdly general, but sometimes these are just hoops to jump through. Also, occasionally, school officials tell people to do things like this when it's not actually required (I know, but it does happen). Tell these lovely ladies where you live or check with your state organization to see what's actually required.

There might be an organization in your state that can help you with their specific laws. In MN, it differs depending on if you have a bachelor's degree or not in how much you have to report. I would say a 1 page curriculum plan could simply be the subjects you will be completing and some general goals. For instance, reading: letter recognition, 100 sight words. Math: shapes, number recognition. Again, someone in your state would be able to tell you further, but in most cases the requirements are less than our fears. :)