Menu

Workbook for Arguments

Thanks swimmermom3! That's really helpful.

On another note, I have 5 USA Swimmers at the moment. I feel like we spend our life at the pool. Are yours USA swimmers?

Five! I don't know whether to be green with envy or sob with relief that it is not me anymore with 5:15am practices or three different practices running at one time. :tongue_smilie: 2012 was our first year without a club swimmer in 8 or 9 years. It's been really weird. DH and I officiated for several years too. My youngest and best swimmer retired to save his shoulders and is only doing high school swimming. He is having a good time and fell right back into goal-setting, but I don't think he will go backt to USA Swimming. He discovered sailing and has transferred all of the swimming passion to his new sport.

Drop me a pm and let me know what your kids are doing. I can never get enough swim talk. Obviously. And home schooling is great with the kind of schedules club swimming demands.

I have my 9th grader working through A Rulebook for Arguments a la WTM. However, she saw on the back of the book that they offer a workbook and really wants to get it. Has anyone used the workbook?

Yes, we're slowly working our way thru the workbook. I've found it very helpful because it lets the student practice the particular rule he just learned. The workbook is very thorough, provides extra critical thinking activities at the end, includes plenty of samples of good and bad arguments and explains in detail WHY they're good or bad, and even includes a website link to additional online samples of arguments (like TV ads for Apple computers, political arguments, billboards, etc.). Overall, I found it well worth the money and MUCH easier than trying to find or create examples for every single rule. I like to have it all laid out for me, including samples, answers, etc.

Yes, we're slowly working our way thru the workbook. I've found it very helpful because it lets the student practice the particular rule he just learned. The workbook is very thorough, provides extra critical thinking activities at the end, includes plenty of samples of good and bad arguments and explains in detail WHY they're good or bad, and even includes a website link to additional online samples of arguments (like TV ads for Apple computers, political arguments, billboards, etc.). Overall, I found it well worth the money and MUCH easier than trying to find or create examples for every single rule. I like to have it all laid out for me, including samples, answers, etc.

This completely makes sense. I double-checked with my son and I guess that what I sometimes saw as busywork, he found to be helpful.

I tried to pm you Lisa, but it said you couldn't get new PMs?

Victoria

Five! I don't know whether to be green with envy or sob with relief that it is not me anymore with 5:15am practices or three different practices running at one time. :tongue_smilie: 2012 was our first year without a club swimmer in 8 or 9 years. It's been really weird. DH and I officiated for several years too. My youngest and best swimmer retired to save his shoulders and is only doing high school swimming. He is having a good time and fell right back into goal-setting, but I don't think he will go backt to USA Swimming. He discovered sailing and has transferred all of the swimming passion to his new sport.

Drop me a pm and let me know what your kids are doing. I can never get enough swim talk. Obviously. And home schooling is great with the kind of schedules club swimming demands.