Menu

Dr. Hive: pain in my hands and arms...related to B12 or something else?

Alenee

I posted previously that I am now receiving shots of B12 (due to an antibody). Around the same time I got the first shot, the temps here dropped quite a bit and my hands began hurting badly...even my forearm hurts. Is it due to the cold weather, arthritis maybe? Or thyroid? Or could this be related to not having enough B12?

For relief, what can I take? This pain is getting to the point of major distraction.

Cold and pain always says arthritis to me. Do they get better if you warm them up? I currently wear half gloves (no fingers) in order to keep my arthritis pain at bay.

I have hyperthroid issue and have never had pain anywhere from it. Perhaps you have a hypo thyroid. I wouldn't know about that.

Have you looked at B12 deficiency symptoms? I did recently do to going vegetarian, but don't remember pain being one, but I could be wrong.

Cold and pain always says arthritis to me. Do they get better if you warm them up? I currently wear half gloves (no fingers) in order to keep my arthritis pain at bay.

I have hyperthroid issue and have never had pain anywhere from it. Perhaps you have a hypo thyroid. I wouldn't know about that.

Have you looked at B12 deficiency symptoms? I did recently do to going vegetarian, but don't remember pain being one, but I could be wrong.

The symptoms of B12 deficiency, it caught late can include nerve damage. Apparently, my thyroid levels are normal but I'm not so sure that's accurate. I think the pain does get better with heat.

If it gets better with heat or warmth then I'd say arthritis. But I'm not an expert. To be sure make an appointment with your GP. Arthritis will show up on an mri and an Xray. so perhaps it might be time to get pix done.

I made an appt. for Friday morning and took some Aleve.

There are too many possible causes to even speculate. I had this type of pain start years ago and it was one of the reasons I finally decided to go back to my doctor to try to figure out what all my pain was/is from. For me, we think it is a mixture of thyroid and fibromyalgia--though there is a possibility that something more serious (like rheumatoid arthritis) that could show up later.

I still get the type of pain you describe and often it happens when it is cold. I hope you find some relief and answers.

I made an appt. for Friday morning and took some Aleve.

Good. I hope you get some answers.

I am reminded of the mystery pain I had once in my left hand. It was probably six or so years ago. The doc finally said, "Sometimes we have odd and mysterious pain for no visible reason." It lasted about a week and never came back.