Menu

Exercise video recommendations needed

blessed2fosteradopt

Lisa, I sometimes hesitate to recommend workout DVDs as tastes are so individual. People like different things.

Total Fitness DVDs is a great site with video clips, excellent prices, and shipping rates. Use their coupon code: 10off for an extra discount.

Collagevideo is another good site.

You can do all sorts of searches and watch video clips.

I love how you can refine your search on this site - by instructor, level, type of workout, etc.

Have fun searching.

Videofitness.com is also very good. I like their forums.

These days, my favorite instructor is Ellen Barrett. I love her DVDs - no dread factor and great workouts.

Leslie Sansone is also great for the lower body.

I needed toning too - mainly in my lower half as well :)

What I found that helped was a book - The New Rules of Lifting for Women. It is not a video, but it is very easy to follow. Right now I am doing the P90x videos. Tony Horton is entertaining and shows you how to modify. It is nice because it includes toning (strength training), cardio, yoga, Ab work and more, and you just follow the schedule each day. I'm loving it:)

I like Classical Stretch/Essentrics. If you are in the US and have a TV, you might find it on your PBS station. The DVDs are pricier than others but that's because it's more like 4 discs with 30 half hour workouts. I like it because it doesn't require any special equipment (or shoes), some of the workouts address parts of the body not typically addressed in common fitness videos (such as hands and feet) and the stretching is so good, and there is so much variety it is hard to get bored. I hate the tai chi pliés, but thankfully it's not in all of their workouts :)

Here's a quick guide for choosing some of their DVDs (from last year's newsletter)

For the first timer: introduce someone special to Classical Stretch with our 2007 TV serieson DVD, it is a great introduction to the program, Miranda's gentle approach in these workouts will make them feel re-energized.

We recommend our 2009 Back to Jamaica or 2010 Health series TV series for those who are familiar with the program. These season are a bit more challenging and will leave participants with a lean, rebalanced and toned body in the New Year.

An Essentrics DVD would make the perfect gift for the Fitness Guru or University student.