Menu

Is it worth doing WWE for just 1 year?

alisoncooks

My DD6 is a 1st grader. I held off on WWE this year because she is just now picking up on reading and has always been writing-resistant. We are not doing any formal writing.

I'm thinking of using WWE1 next year (2nd grade) but after that I'm tempted to just use the writing that's a part of R&S English (which I plan on using for grammar starting in 3rd).

So... is it worth using WWE for just the 1 year or is the benefit of the program cumulative? I'm starting to wonder if I should just find a more "traditional" writing to use next year as a stop-gap (and then maybe as a supplement once we start R&S).

Thoughts or opinions?

My DD6 is a 1st grader. I held off on WWE this year because she is just now picking up on reading and has always been writing-resistant. We are not doing any formal writing.

I'm thinking of using WWE1 next year (2nd grade) but after that I'm tempted to just use the writing that's a part of R&S English (which I plan on using for grammar starting in 3rd).

So... is it worth using WWE for just the 1 year or is the benefit of the program cumulative? I'm starting to wonder if I should just find a more "traditional" writing to use next year as a stop-gap (and then maybe as a supplement once we start R&S).

Thoughts or opinions?

Definitely worth it. WWE 1 works on narrations and copy work which are essential, foundational writing skills. My DD6 is pretty close to being ready for WWE1. I can't wait. ;)

I think it's worth it. The writing instruction in R&S3 is only on the last unit, and it's short. None of it will be contradictory either. Narration skills will be useful to continue in history/science until R&S gets them able to write about those subjects (possibly 5th grade? The instruction in 4th grade is still not a whole lot, though it is interspersed throughout the year).

Honestly, I think you could easily do WWE two years, and it would complement R&S nicely.

WWE 1 doesn't really get them to do narrations, which I consider to be the real value of WWE. WWE 1 just gets the kids to tell one thing they remember about the passage. If you only want to do one volume, I would recommend doing 2 or 3. Or maybe you could read The Complete Writer and then do narrations and dictations in some skill subjects along with R&S fir formal writing. I don't really think doing WWE 1 with no follow-up would build a solid foundation of narration skills.