Menu

Has anyone used the Logic Liftoff series?

Joshin

I found Logic Liftoff and Orbiting With Logic for 25 cents each today at the thrift shop so I snagged them up. I was planning to use a different logic series with my younger son, but for the price I figured they were worth a shot. Has anyone else used them? Is it okay to skip the first book (Logic Countdown), or should I find it somewhere and start with it? What did you like/not like about them? I haven't researched these at all so would love some feedback from those of you with experience with the series!

On a side note, I also snagged the Art Book for Children for 50 cents! It looks like a really neat book to start our art history lessons with next year. It has pages dedicated to 30 artists and types of art so it's already perfectly divided to do a study on one a week for a school year. I'm so excited about my finds today!

Congrats on your great finds! Gotta love a bargain! :)

We used all 3 books in the series. We did a page a day aloud together as part of our morning together time a few days a week, along with lots of other critical thinking and logic resources. We enjoyed the wide variety of puzzle types. The last book especially introduces some of the topics and terms you'll encounter in a formal Logic course, so it is a good one to do in late middle school.

While you could try doing Countdown aloud together with your 7yo, all 3 of these are geared for older ages. Actually, you can use the 2 books you purchased with your 12yo (esp. Orbiting), if he hasn't done any critical thinking/logic materials before. The books increase in difficulty; here is the suggested age range:

- Countdown = gr. 3-5

- Liftoff = gr. 4-6

- Orbiting = gr. 5-7

Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.

My 8 yos are doing Countdown this year and finding it mostly easy. We don't find we need to do it aloud. I find that the Prufrock Press stuff skews a bit to the younger end of their recommended grades and I'm sure many 7 yos could do Countdown. However, I'd hesitate to use the next book up with a 7 yo. I'd save the ones you got for later on.