Menu

How rules oriented is Spelling Workout?

thundersweet

I use SWR with my dd (just turned 7). I don't know why but I have always been drawn to SWO. My dd tolerates SWR fine. When I see samples of SWO though, it just looks like it would be perfect for her. She loves crosswords and reading etc. Wondering if I should look more seriously at SWO. I would love it if she was more enthused about spelling.:) I would want rules though, does it go into rules at all?

Thanks,

Sandy

That's funny, I've been using Spelling Workout all along, but I've lately been reading of people liking other things better so I've been thinking of switching.

Every week is a different lesson, and they cover a different rule each time. Every 6th lesson is a review. I guess we're used to it, but sometimes I think they're just memorizing for a test and not really learning to spell. It's so hard to know if I'm using the "perfect" curriculum for each child. :001_unsure:

April

It's funny, we used it last year and even though it does teach rules, we never feel like we're bogged down with spelling rules. We will use again this year. I've looked at a bunch of other spelling programs, but many of them look so serious. My ds was the most horrible speller (I mean really horrible.). His spelling is okay now. He's come a long way. SW is fun and I never have to fight with him to get him to do it.

I use SWR with my dd (just turned 7). I don't know why but I have always been drawn to SWO. My dd tolerates SWR fine. When I see samples of SWO though, it just looks like it would be perfect for her. She loves crosswords and reading etc. Wondering if I should look more seriously at SWO. I would love it if she was more enthused about spelling.:) I would want rules though, does it go into rules at all?

Thanks,

Sandy

I bought the books for fifth, third, and K. The K book looks pretty useless, imho. The fifth and third, however, are big hits here w/ the kids. So far, I don't mind them.

Until this year, we've always used WRTR, which I love-love-love, for the thorough and concise coverage it gives to spelling rules. However, as I told a friend in an email just last night, trying to multi-task multi-levels of WRTR made me want to jab upholstery pins in my eyes. I can't hang with the amount of concentration required of me vs. the noise level in my home.

So, I looked around for something that would provide good structure, decent cohesion, and a little more independence from Mom, but not go in and completely undo all the good that I feel the kids got from WRTR. The winner in that line-up was Spelling Workout.

So, that's how we got where we are, and as of right now, I think it's going to be good. I like the editing tidbits and the variety of exercises, as well.

Because Australian spelling is different to American spelling in some instances, I kept trying to persevere with Australian spelling books. However, though I don't know a lot about some of these other American programs people are talking about, I felt my dcs needed those "proofreading" skills in SWO - that really is critical thinking to be able to look at writing and see the errors and I want them to apply it to their own work so I'm not the one always having to correct their work. Also, the story writing in which they are to use as many of the spelling words as they can, forces them to be able to use the words correctly as well as being creative. My dcs weren't getting either of those 2 tasks in any books that I'd found so far, and to me they're worth the effort of having to go through and change the occasional spelling in the spelling lists.

Thanks ladies! I am going to take a look at it at our conference this weekend. My problem is that I feel like if I let go of SWR, I will not be giving her the best. KWIM? I know thats silly. I used SWR to teach her to read. I feel like she won't get that solid foundation if I don't use it.

Thanks,

Sandy