Menu

Fun Reads for Teens?

DD15 needs "a good exciting thick book" (her words) to read during her free time. She is a fast reader and doesn't want something she can finish in a day.

She's devoured Sherlock Holmes, LOTR, The 3 Musketeers, Count of Monte Cristo, Tom Sawyer (and Huck) and some Jack London. She tolerates G.A. Henty but the long narrative passages get a bit tedious.

I'm sure there must be threads on this board addressing this, but I couldn't find them.

TIA!

I've never heard of Pratchett or Collins. I'll check them out. I did consider Austen, but I have a feeling they won't be "adventurous" enough for her. She'll read them for Brit. Lit. anyway in a year or two. :D

Thanks for the suggestions: I know what I'll be doing tonight!

To Say Nothing of the Dog (Reading The Moonstone and some Wodehouse Jeeves stories first would be great-To Say Nothing of the Dog will give the Moonstone away)

Yes--almost anything by Connie Willis. She writes books with a hint of science fiction (time travel) and very engaging plot twists--and they're "clean," too.

Any ideas for more books for teen boys? I have found it so hard to find appropriate fare for that age range.

My teens have been re-reading Brandon Sanderson's books, the Mistborn books and Elantris are some of the books I've seen around. They look pretty thick to me, but I don't know if they are the kinds of books your daughter reads. I think I've heard that Mistborn is more accessible than his The Way of Kings if you aren't that into fantasy (like me).

I'll ask my ds as well but the Hornblower series might work:

http://www.amazon.com/Hornblower-Quarters-C-S-Forester/dp/0316289329/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353245276&sr=1-1&keywords=BEAT+TO+QUARTERS (that's the first book written, not the first book chronologically, but its suppose to be better than the chronologically first book)

There is also another more modern series of naval novels. I am less sure of their order, but here's the title I did remember: http://www.amazon.com/Master-And-Commander/dp/B000I9U9A4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353245388&sr=8-1&keywords=captain+and+commander