Menu

Apple Macintosh or Windows based system? Differences?

I never really looked at an Apple Mac before because I had heard at one time, owning a Mac was bad. Many programs would not work on a Mac. But, I am in the market for a new computer. I have a laptop now and it is about 8 years old. It is slow, fan runs all the time, and I cannot upgrade it.

I do not want another laptop.

My brother, who is an Electrical Engineer recommeds a Mac. He says they get less viruses, run faster and is much better system

I do not know much about Mac. I only know computers that have Windows.

Which do you prefer and why? And do you have to re-learn how to do everything on a Mac? I know all about Windows.

Can you run AOL on one? Will it play discs such as Teaching Textbooks? Are you limited to any discs that will not play on a Mac?

Any info would be great. I am very clueless about computers.:lol:

It takes no time at all to learn how to use a mac. I own one pc for business accounting and I hate it. Takes up too much space with that big tower. I don't find it user friendly at all. They aren't exactly attractive either.

That said, you are limited in software. Some software is both pc and mac compatible. Some will sell pc and mac versions separately and some don't offer a mac version at all.

I've owned macs for around 7 years now and haven't had a virus yet. My old mac burnt out it's hardrive and I had it replaced for under $200 and it's as good as new. They keep their value longer than a pc.

I love the plug and play aspect. I buy a new camera and I just plug it in and it loads the photos. No messing around with software and drivers. It's just a lot less frustrating.

Mac only household here. We have never owned a Windows based computer ever although I have worked on them. I find Mac to be very intuitive. I have never felt as though I was missing out on any programs and we have always been virus free. We just purchased a new MacBook Pro . . . we now have four laptops and various other Apple devices.

ETA all my laptops have a built in camera.

My kids use TT but it is the newer version which runs on both Mac and Windows.

Edited by jelbe5

Every Mac except the Mac Mini comes with a webcam, and the FaceTime software is awesome! It's better quality video than Skype. DH and I use it a lot between our Macs and iDevices because he's away for work. I switched to Mac in 2010, and I've been able to find software for what I needed no problem on Mac. It may not be the big name Windows app, but they get the job done. Free/donation software is written very well on Mac. Since switching, we have been replacing the Windows boxes ever so slowly. We now own a Mini, an iMac, a Macbook Air, and a Macbook Pro. The only Windows box left in the house is a laptop that is too old to sell but just refuses to die. Our 3yo son plays with it but wants one with "the purdy apple". We put him on a Mac when his laptop is acting up so even he notices the Macs have little trouble.

Everything from networking to just playing on the computer is better on a Mac. There is very little overhead or maintenance required. You can even very easily install Windows on a Mac and boot into that when/if you need a specific program that is Windows only. It's as easy to switch as it is to restart the machine.

A quick Google says AOL has software for the Mac. I don't know if it is the software you need, but it's listing IM and something called AOL Desktop.

I would go completely tech free before I went back to Windows, especially with what I've seen of Windows 8 (DH uses Windows on his Mac for work).

Oh, there's a great guide to switching on Apple's web site that answers the basic and not so basic questions people have about switching to Windows. Um, Mac. Sorry, it's been a long day. :D

Edited by mamajag

Wow. Okay seems like a Mac is a good choice.

I know someone left me a link, but I couldn't find the answer to this question.

Can you webcam(I don't know what facetime is LOL), someone who has a regular PC and NOT a Mac?

And if so, will the quality be on MY end, or on THEIR end?