Menu

CA homeschoolers...I'm looking for info on Open Acess for HS sports...

I was under the impression that we were allowed open access to high schools for sports and other activities. However, when I contacted our local hs for info on softball tryouts, I was referred to the CIF, the governing body of highschool sports in CA, website and their constitution says that homeschoolers are not allowed to play. Wouldn't the state laws supercede any other?

DD won't be a freshman until next year, but I am trying to get everything in order before then.

I don't believe state law guarantees open access. I think I read in HSLDA that only 15 states have such a law, and CA isn't one of them. The only "loophole" I've found is to join a charter school in my local school district, then my child could play sports at the local high school (however it's still the principal's final call). Instead, we've found club-type sports that my kids can play outside of high school and that's working great for us. My 9th grader is in crew and I found a track & field club too.

Sometimes you can join an independent study program (ISP) that offers sports. For ex., our church's K-12 school offers ISP services to homeschoolers, and this can include paying to participate in PE and sports. It's pricey, though, and christian schools aren't attractive to everyone. That's what I know.

I don't know where in Ca. you are, but in Orange county for instance there is one particular ISP that is directly affiliated with a Christian k-12 school. If you join thier ISP your child *can* play on the teams, but you do need to pay for it.

Good Luck!

Trishe

I was under the impression that we were allowed open access to high schools for sports and other activities. However, when I contacted our local hs for info on softball tryouts, I was referred to the CIF, the governing body of highschool sports in CA, website and their constitution says that homeschoolers are not allowed to play. Wouldn't the state laws supercede any other?

DD won't be a freshman until next year, but I am trying to get everything in order before then.

Well, I think whoever you talked to was shining you on; I'd have to see that in writing.

State law does allow private school students to take classes at public schools; the catch is that public schools only have to do this if there is room.

There are some homeschool sports leagues that are quite sizeable; you might check into those instead of trying to get involved with the public schools.