Menu

PRE-ALGEBRA....what if nothing is working?..

I see that Pre-alg has been a hot topic recently. I'm hoping for a bit of understanding....what am I missing that ds14 needs in his Pre-Alg?

We ditched TT this year because he was burnt out on it. So we went to KB. However, KB didnt seem to give him the explanation he needed. So now we're in Tablet class. This is very straight forward, I believe. It doesnt give too many problems daily so ds isnt overwhelmed with it. But after he does the lesson it's like he's never seen the concepts before? :confused: I practically have to re-teach the lesson and go over each problem with him. So then the next day I have him redo the lesson independently so I know he gets it. I don't know if it's the computer format that loses him or what? He is going through that puberty stage where his brain seems to be in slow motion right now. Maybe I need to teach Pre-Alg one on one? I have Jacobs ele. alg., and I'm now considering working through that with him now. I just need to get going on a program that feels like it works for him.

I need to add that he's also doing HOE and enjoys that.

Please, please give me your input. I know everyone's probably sick of Math talk, but I need to see what I'm missing?

I see that Pre-alg has been a hot topic recently. I'm hoping for a bit of understanding....what am I missing that ds14 needs in his Pre-Alg?

We ditched TT this year because he was burnt out on it. So we went to KB. However, KB didnt seem to give him the explanation he needed. So now we're in Tablet class. This is very straight forward, I believe. It doesnt give too many problems daily so ds isnt overwhelmed with it. But after he does the lesson it's like he's never seen the concepts before? :confused: I practically have to re-teach the lesson and go over each problem with him. So then the next day I have him redo the lesson independently so I know he gets it. I don't know if it's the computer format that loses him or what? He is going through that puberty stage where his brain seems to be in slow motion right now. Maybe I need to teach Pre-Alg one on one? I have Jacobs ele. alg., and I'm now considering working through that with him now. I just need to get going on a program that feels like it works for him.

I need to add that he's also doing HOE and enjoys that.

Please, please give me your input. I know everyone's probably sick of Math talk, but I need to see what I'm missing?

Hi Stephanie, sorry to hear about your son's difficulties lately. It sounded like it was working well for him initially. Just curious if you also have him watch the videos explaining how to work out each problem step-by-step after he tries them himself first? When I spoke with Mr. Zimmerman about this he recommended viewing these videos regardless of how well the student did on the questions on their own. And don't forget about about the extra practice worksheets at the end of each chapter.

I will say that we do go back and rework some problems if by the end of the chapter certain areas were forgotten by our ds11. He was a little over confident when he got to the decimal and fractions chapter. But after missing more than expected we went back and reviewed key concepts. Keep in mind that a lot of what Pre-Algebra does is review elementary math. So this helps to bring out areas which may need some deeper review. There are many, many good suppliments for these including the 'Keys To' series, MM subject reviews, etc... We also own MUS Pre-Algebra and will go back over that if we find the need for additional review.

Edited by dereksurfs

Have you tried Lials BCM? My older doesnt like, or rather doesnt learn and retain well, from computer based instruction. Lial's BCM might work better for your son.

I'm doing Lials BCM now with dd12 who is in 7th grade. I didn't realize this was considered a Pre-alg text?

That would be ideal to work through that with both of them, but I don't know if it's considered enough to ease into Algebra?

What do you think?

Hi Stephanie, sorry to hear about your son's difficulties lately. It sounded like it was working well for him initially. Just curious if you also have him watch the videos explaining how to work out each problem step-by-step after he tries them himself first? When I spoke with Mr. Zimmerman about this he recommended viewing these videos regardless of how well the student did on the questions on their own. And don't forget about about the extra practice worksheets at the end of each chapter.

I will say that we do go back and rework some problems if by the end of the chapter certain areas were forgotten by our ds11. He was a little over confident when he got to the decimal and fractions chapter. But after missing more than expected we went back and reviewed key concepts. Keep in mind that a lot of what Pre-Algebra does is review elementary math. So this helps to bring out areas which may need some deeper review. There are many, many good suppliments for these including the 'Keys To' series, MM subject reviews, etc... We also own MUS Pre-Algebra and will go back over that if we find the need for additional review.

Derek, can you believe I'm still dealing with math for this dc? :banghead:

We don't view the problems every time he misses one. Usually we go through the notes and review the problems then work again. We do all the worksheets available as well. I guess I'm concerned that he keeps messing up on fundamentals that I feel he should know. :001_unsure: I'm baffled by his recent loss of all math skills. I'm going to go ahead and implement the Keys to series to reinforce his fundamentals. Sigh.

I'm so sick of math....:tongue_smilie:

I'm doing Lials BCM now with dd12 who is in 7th grade. I didn't realize this was considered a Pre-alg text?

That would be ideal to work through that with both of them, but I don't know if it's considered enough to ease into Algebra?

What do you think?

This might depend on the on a number of factors including how you plan to do Algebra. For example will you spread it out for longer than one year? How difficult of an Algebra 1 program will you use. There is a pretty wide spectrum when it comes to scope and sequence along with rigor. AoPS is typically considered at the most difficult end with TT and MUS on the easier side of the spectrum. We plan on spending plenty of time on Algebra, most likely two years (7th & 8th grade).

Jacobs is considered a pretty gentle introduction to Algebra with significant Pre-Algebra review initially.

BCM would probably be good to suppliment with programs like HOE and others which introduce algebraic concepts such as multistep equations and polynomials. That's what the Pre-A programs add in there as well.

Hands-on Equations. I used it to solidify concepts with my own and then just now for 2 other middle schoolers. All of them had the lightbulb moment when they could actually SEE what was going on. I didn't use the videos, only the kit, but it made all the difference - especially when it came to learning the basic rules of the game. They all had the same suggestion for the kit, though - switch the dice so that red are negative and green are positive. For some reason it's the other way around.

Guest pjgoyea

Have you tried Life of Fred or Kahn academy? Kahn academy is free on the internet and we use it to get extra practice when Life of Fred doesn't give us enough.