Menu

MEP questions

mhaddon

So the kids are doing K12 VA and we are enjoying it and school is actually getting done more than when I did my own things :blush:

But, I'm not thrilled with the math at all. My K son is flying through it and ready to hit addition and subtraction. My first grade son needs more practice in both. So I was thinking of using MEP to fill in. But, I'm not sure where to go to find that addition/sub portions. Any way to navigate this program more easily??

Also, if you use it to supplement how do you structure it and what do you choose to print? I could waste a lot of ink!!

We're using it this year for level 2, half-way through, and I couldn't tell you how to cherry-pick lessons. I'm hoping to learn here. :001_smile:

I did find an over-all topic summary in the "Scheme of Work".

Since your boys are close, look at the scheme of work for year 1 and decide what level addition/subtraction (number bonds) you want them to work on. Then print out a few weeks work of the "Lesson Plans" for those weeks. THEN read them and see if they cover the topics you want.

MEP will be re-presenting the material, perhaps in a different way, or with different focus. If you are looking for worksheets of practice problems you would be better off with a "build-your-own-worksheet" website, like those linked from the Math Mammoth pages.

HTH

This year I'm using MEP with Singapore Math. If you'd like to read about how I'm combining them, here is a review I wrote about grades 5, 2 and Reception; and another I wrote only on MEP Reception.

It depends on the lesson, but I often print the copymasters (along with the Lesson Plans and the Practice Book pages) in order to not have to write out a topic on the white board. I strongly recommend the Lesson Plans which I think are very good and not to be missed.