Menu

Help! Imac issues

I can't get the USB ports in the back of my iMac to recognize anything. My external hard drives aren't showing up, and when I plugged in my card reader to upload some photos, it wouldn't recognize it.

So I thought I needed to update something, drivers or something, (I am so not a computer techy person, but I figured it was worth a shot), and started software updates. But it keeps telling me the updates need to install and won't let me restart. It won't let me shut down or anything, nothing happens.

Any ideas?

If you still have Apple Care I'd call.

If not, I'd just hold down the startup button til the computer goes off, let it sit a minute, turn back on and try doing your software updates again.

It's from April of this year. I still have Apple Care. But I'm upset anyway because I don't trust Apple w my photos and am afraid they'll have to wipe my computer or something. I've been doing a 366 project all year and it's a lot of hard work and I've gotten behind on uploading my photos to Flickr because I have so little free time and have to convert all my RAW files to JPEG first, and of course, my external hard drive that had my 366 photos got fried last week by a water spill from my toddler. So I need the photos that are on the Imac hard drive.

I can copy the photos to somewhere else before I take it, so I'm sure my photos will be fine. I'm just really irrational about my photos and ticked that I haven't had this computer for long.

And I need to go to bed, so I'm extra irrational. :glare:

Sorry about the ramble. I will try a forced shut down like you suggested.