Menu

I'm interested in a foreclosure; dh is mostly not

We just saw a foreclosure today that most likely won't be available for long. (It was under contract when we originally tried to see it but the buyers couldn't get the lending to go through.) Our real estate agent says it needs only some work (high estimate of $25K) and that we would be way ahead even after putting that money into fixing it.

I like it and the neighborhood. After talking to the realtor, the necessary work seems very doable. My dh, on the other hand, kind of likes it, but thinks the bushes will be too much work to maintain. He thinks the yard is too small when there is a huge common area right outside our fence.

I don't get his thinking right now. We have seen other homes for the same price, and while they are ready to go, they are smaller and don't have some of the neighborhood amenities this one has.

Any advice?

We just saw a foreclosure today that most likely won't be available for long. (It was under contract when we originally tried to see it but the buyers couldn't get the lending to go through.) Our real estate agent says it needs only some work (high estimate of $25K) and that we would be way ahead even after putting that money into fixing it.

I like it and the neighborhood. After talking to the realtor, the necessary work seems very doable. My dh, on the other hand, kind of likes it, but thinks the bushes will be too much work to maintain. He thinks the yard is too small when there is a huge common area right outside our fence.

I don't get his thinking right now. We have seen other homes for the same price, and while they are ready to go, they are smaller and don't have some of the neighborhood amenities this one has.

Any advice?

Well, you can always remove the bushes and replace with plants that look good and are easy to maintain or you can not put anything in. We did that. I got tired of pruning bushes. It makes the yard look bigger.

We recently bought a house and redid a lot of the landscaping, it is more $$$$ than you would think. Our initial est of needing $15K work(inside and out), ended up double. RE agents sorry aren't ALWAYS the best at giving estimates. Many just want to sell.

Bushes can be removed, yes, but are you going to be the one doing it or hire? Call around and check estimates.

Yard size is my 1 regret about this house, but we have no common area. With littles a useable yard is a big deal. I love being able to send them out to play while I do dishes, etc. I just wish it was bigger.