Menu

Speech

I have a 5 year old daughter who is currently in public school. The only reason that she is there is so she can receive speech therapy. Because of resent events at the school I am very seriously considering pulling her and homeschooling her like I do my 7 year old. Trin (5 year old) has no language problems, only speech. Does anyone one here do speech at home? What do you recommend?

You should be able to receive speech therapy without enrolling your child in school. I had two children who received speech twice weekly as "drive in services" on a "service plan". As a homeschooler you are still entitled to services. I was in FL at the time....maybe different states have different rules, but you should still be able to access services in some way as a homeschooler.

I bought a book to do speech myself at home, but I never ended up using it. I found it confusing to know what I should work on. That said, nothing they did in their speech therapy with the school was that remarkable...they played games with cards for the words they were targeting (certain consonants for one child....certain language words for the other). It should be possible to do that at home! It was really just a matter of giving lots of practice to the sounds/words that are giving them trouble! As simple as that sounds...I wasn't up to the task. I forget the name of the book I bought...I've since sold it...but there's probably better sources now...that was about 7 years ago. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a resource.

You should be able to receive speech therapy without enrolling your child in school. I had two children who received speech twice weekly as "drive in services" on a "service plan". As a homeschooler you are still entitled to services. I was in FL at the time....maybe different states have different rules, but you should still be able to access services in some way as a homeschooler.

Thanks, I'm in FL so I will ask them about that when I go to the Parent Resource Center next week to turn in the homeschool papers.

I replied last night, but for some reason it hasn't shown up.

If the speech you're referring to is articulation/pronunciation then the blog

Mommy Speech Therapy might be helpful to you.

Good luck!

Yes, she has problems with articulation. Thank you, I'll look into that one.

FWIW, for lurkers and such, indeed different states have different rules. In many states, maybe even most, IEP services are not available to homeschoolers.

I purchased a resource to help me keep tabs on where we are at where articulation is concerned. I don't know if I would recommend it for doing speech on your own though, since I did not need to use it for this purpose, but you could check your library and see if it helps you in some way :). The book is "Teach Me How to Say It Right" by Dorothy P. Dougherty. Hope you find the best solution for your situation :grouphug:!

Edited by Guest