Menu

I need a grammar CLE LA game plan. Can you CLE users help me?

walkermamaof4

I haven't been faithful about teaching grammar for lots of reasons that seem unimportant. I put so much emphasis on math and not enough on grammar. We are using MCT Town but I feel behind for lack of enough previous exposure to rules of punctuation, etc. So I tested ds9 with the placement test for CLE LA. He scored a 66 on level 200. The placement guidelines say to put him in 200 if he doesn't score a 70 or above. He didn't understand terminology like long vowel/short vowel and the markings for pronunciation. He uses a different method to diagram in MCT so couldn't diagram either. Are these important in life? (He is a good speller.) He got commas and quotations wrong and didn't know the term antonym. He hasn't ever learned these, so this is no surprise. I'm just wondering if I should have him start in 200 or will he pick these up in 300. And what pace should we expect to keep? How fast can he complete each lesson - can he catch up?

What would you do?

I'd put him in level 300. There is TONS of review built in to CLE Language Arts. Each grade level covers the same stuff, just with more depth and harder spelling words.

Susan in TX

:iagree: They also have an extra worksheet book that you can buy for if your kiddo needs extra review. I recommend it, at least for this first year.

Edited by Andalasia
worksheets

We were really inconsistent with early grammar too, but we did the placement tests and she passed into 400 with little previous instruction (part of R&S 2, some punctuation, copywork, dictation, narration etc.). When we did the placement tests I DID NOT mark her on the CLE phonics notations because we learned phonics differently. I mean - *I* didn't know what they were asking, let alone her! She's doing fine so far in 400, so I'd say go for it. It's pretty gentle when it gets started :).