Menu

Math Word Problems? Singapore?

Roxy Roller

We have not used Singapore Math, but I am interested in adding some word problems to my DC's math.

Would I start out with Challenging Word Problems, or would I use the Fan-Math Process Skills in Problem Solving series from Singapore to introduce my DC to the method that Singapore uses? Would I use them a year behind?

I have read through both at level 4, and the Process Skills in Problem Solving (PSPS) will show you how to model and solve many of the problem types that come up in Singapore Math at that level by guiding you through each type in a step-by-step way.

A little bit of the discovery method in the CWP 4 will be lost if you use PSPS4 first, but a person just starting out with Singapore word problems may find that PSPS4 gives more direction to get started with. If you are not familiar with the way Singapore word problems work, it may be useful to go through PSPS4 before starting CWP4.

Good luck. :)

Edited by fractalgal

I have read through both at level 4, and the Process Skills in Problem Solving (PSPS) will show you how to model and solve many of the problem types that come up in Singapore Math at that level by guiding you through each type in a step-by-step way.

A little bit of the discovery method in the CWP 4 will be lost if you use PSPS4 first, but a person just starting out with Singapore word problems may find that PSPS4 gives more direction to get started with. If you are not familiar with the way Singapore word problems work, it may be useful to go through PSPS4 before starting CWP4.

Good luck. :)

Thank you, Fractalgal. I think I may try to view both of these to decide which would work best. Would you recommend doing the books a year behind, since we are not following the Singapore method?

Thank you, Fractalgal. I think I may try to view both of these to decide which would work best. Would you recommend doing the books a year behind, since we are not following the Singapore method?

We do them 1/2 year behind, even though we ARE doing SM. I want to ensure the focus in the word problems is on problem setup and math application, not on mechanics (arithmetic) and this helps with that.

One other thing I've done, and it seems to help, is to set my kids up so they do a little bit of CWP every day. There's never a day were we just do tons and tons of word problems, nor do we have periods where there aren't any.

Daily math looks like:

-> warmup w/ arithmetic...1 example each of multi-digit (w/ decimals if they've covered that) addition, subtraction, multiplication, division. It's just 1 of each, but it's every single day. Also includes 1 each addition and mult of fractions. Occasionally, I substitute MathSprints for this.

-> current math work...just moving through SM

-> 2ish pages in CWP, 1/2 to 1 year behind. Not a lot of word problems, just 2-4 of them, but some everyday.

The regular sprinkling in of word problems (and arithmetic) seems to really work.