Menu

Thinking of switching to either HOD or MFW

mommy5

I'm considering switching to either HOD or MFW for this coming year (January). I would love input from anyone here that has used either or both of these. I'm currently combining our 5.5 yr old and 7 yr old for phonics/reading/writing ... they do separate math curriculum. They do the same Bible, character study, history, some science (we haven't done as much as I wanted to this year), art, some music, painter study, read alouds and grammar.

My 5 yr old does well with reading/writing, K5 math, art ... a lot of the rest she is zoning out or it is going over her head with little retention. My 2nd grader is doing well with everything except really the history books I've been reading this year haven't been sticking with him. I'm not sure if it is supposed to "stick" in 2nd grade but a lot of he can't recall when I ask him to. The other stuff is going fine.

I have 2 little ones and a child with special needs ... it would help to streamline everything we are doing without a million teacher's manuals and disorganization that I'm now facing. I'm trying to figure out our day now that nap times are changing and needs of the littles are changing.

I'm considering MFW Adventures (would this be too hard for an almost 6 yr old and a just turned 8 yr old who are both emerging readers)? I'm also considering BLHFHG from HOD ... not sure if that would be too tough. It seems my older child could do a lot of Bigger but not my 5 yr old.

I really like the look of MFW ECC although I've seen some mixed reviews. I think our 5.5 yr old is too young at this point, considering doing it next year.

Sorry this is so long. Just trying to simplify what we do. We will be using CLE for math next year and that is all I've settled on!!!

I would think that MFW Adventures would be perfect for those ages mine were 6 and 8 (boys) when we started adventures. They have really enjoyed it, they are really proud of the history notebook that they have made they love showing it to anyone who will look at it. We added a few more people to the notebook using the Hold That Thought cd. It is a fun year.

Was Adventures hard for your 6 year old? That was my only fear -- that it would be too difficult. I'm really torn because both programs look really nice and well laid out. Did you like the Bible portion of Adventures? I really want something that includes a strong biblical focus as well as history and science...