Menu

Need healthy soups that freeze well.

I would love to get some recipes of healthy soups that freeze well. Would love to have my freezer stocked up for busy nights.

Thanks,

Angela

Here are two that we like:

Fire Roasted Tortilla Soup (very spicy): http://www.recipelink.com/msgbrd/board_14/2008/NOV/32410.html

* I puree all the tomato ingredients in my blender before adding to the recipe since my guys don't like chunky tomatoes - but the texture is super yummy even so.

Multi-Bean Chili http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/multi_bean_chili.html

* We cook up 1.25lb extra lean ground turkey breast and add to the recipe

* Only use 2 cups of water instead of 3 cups

* We delete garlic, cumin, crushed and fresh tomatoes and kidney beans (due to personal preference - my guys don't like tomatoes or kidney beans)

* We add a can of Mrs. Grimes hot chili beans (undrained), can of pinto beans (rinsed and drained), and 2-10oz cans of original Rotel tomatoes with green chiles (I blend the tomatoes in a blender since my guys don't like tomato chunks)

Thanks!!

Angela

Edited by A.J. at J.A.

I have found that any soup will freeze well with the exception of soups with pasta. Cooked, frozen pasta = mush, in my experience. So with those, I just leave the pasta out and throw it into cook when I warm the soup (only about 10 minutes).

What about milk-based soups? I just made a double batch of a yummy potato pepper soup today but read somewhere else that milk-based and potato soups do not freeze well. UGH!

What about milk-based soups? I just made a double batch of a yummy potato pepper soup today but read somewhere else that milk-based and potato soups do not freeze well. UGH!

I've heard that, but I don't find it to be my experience. I will say that it is helpful to heat slowly, rather than on a high heat, and to whisk things to together as they warm.

I've heard that, but I don't find it to be my experience. I will say that it is helpful to heat slowly, rather than on a high heat, and to whisk things to together as they warm.

:iagree:

A soup one of my sisters just made for me was potato, butternut squash and leek. It froze well. And it's quite yummy.

She made a red lentil soup for me that froze well, too. I don't have recipes, but I'm sure you could google something similar.