Menu

Aliens have taken over my sweet 4 year old.

Hi all, wondering if you have gone through this and how you cope. :) I have a four year old that this past week has been a completely different child. she is the most amiable of my kiddos. always easy to reason with and very independent. Not lately.:confused: From pushing her twin sister on multiple occasions, whining about everything (even if she is just asking for something) to insisting that I hold her.

if I must put her down she is following after me whining to be held or plants herself face first some where to cry.

Then we have the nightly getting up and insisting on sleeping with mommy ( I am not opposed to co sleeping when the kiddos are having bad dreams or feeling ill, but my husband is only b/c we have a small bed and he ends up getting kicked out :tongue_smilie: so I am sleeping with her in her little twin bed. I have tried sneaking back to my own when she is asleep but it doesn't take her long to discover me gone and back in she is. this is definately testing my endurance and patience. I love her so much. would not mind holding her all day. but there are other munchkins in the house that need me too and I do have housecleaning cooking and lessons for my first grader to get through.

She has complained tonight that her legs hurt. can a growth spurt or growing pains be whats altering her behavior?

Hoping for some ideas on what this could be and how to help her cope...not to mention help me keep my sanity. if nothing else it helped to type it all out instead of unloading on my DH while he is at work. :) he has enough stress, this is my field so I need to figure it out. :(

When my daughter's behavior changes like this it's usually either she's getting sick with a cold or not getting enough sleep. I'll usually adjust bedtime a little earlier when this happens.

This can also sometimes happen when she's feeling a little stir-crazy and needs to get out of the house. If she's irritable and I realize we haven't done much in a few days (a common thing for a homebody like me), I'll make sure we get out to the park or the zoo or something.

Thanks ladies. She has been sleeping in a lot and taking longer naps. so It really must be a growth spurt. I hope so... they need to grow :) they are both itty bitty for four year olds. I tried taking some extra time holding her yesterday. she fell asleep in my lap and took a good 2 hour nap. poor baby. but thank goodness I don't think she is ill. I get restless legs sometimes so I know that feeling irritation in your legs can make you cranky. Gonna make sure she get lots of rest and pray this passes soon. she does seam less grumpy is morning :tongue_smilie:

That age is why I think many people put their kids in school lol. Seriously, I was so excited to homeschool my dd until she hit 4 just before she turned 5, and then I thought I needed to spend more time looking at schools. Both of my boys went through that too. I have noticed any time my kids gain a great deal new academic ability they turn into crazy people. Maybe she is about to figure out reading or addition or something. It will get better, hang in there mama.

Its encouraging to hear its not out of the norm. I was starting to question if I missed something parenting wise :P I don't remember my big girl going through this but then again I was nursing twins and living on sleep deprivation when she turned four so perhaps I just don't remember her whinning :D

great advice!! she asked for her Almond Milk at bed time tonight. first time she has wanted milk at bed time in well over a year. has any one had experience using melatonin to help kiddos get a good night sleep....pros /cons?

difinately will try the ibprofin tormorrow.... read this too late. :)

We have used Melatonin for years for our son with autism. He is my kiddo who requires the least amount of sleep. I would suggest trying 1 mg for a 4yo. That is what we started our son with around that age (he now takes 3mg at age 15). Within 1/2 an hour he is out until he wakes up in the morning. Hope you both get good sleep soon.