Menu

NROTC program (not scholarship)

My son is wanting to go into the Marine Option NROTC program. I think a scholarship is pretty much out at this point, but he'd still like to do the program. Does anyone know what the requirements are to get into it? Everything I can find online or in brochures talks about the scholarship. Are the requirements the same? Do you have to be chosen for the program like you do the scholarship? Or is it a case of if you qualify you are able to participate?

He has spoken with a recruiter, but I was not there, and I'm trying to find out information about it to see if he understood what the recruiter told him.;)

Recruiters generally don't know much about ROTC programs. Just FYI.
GOOD TO KNOW!

In general, the way ROTC works (if you are not on scholarship) is that you enroll for the classes when you register for the rest of your semester classes, just as you would the rest of your classes. Usually the underclass years of ROTC are non-committal and you just sign up and attend.
Oh! Wow! That's easy! Where might I be able to find out more (without wading through pages and pages of scholarship info.)?

Generally each ROTC unit has a website. That would give contact info for the unit staff. He could ask directly about non-scholarship midshipman opportunities. He probably wants to check this out before classes start in case there is an earlier freshman orientation for the unit. There are links to unit websites on the listing by state at NROTC.navy.mil USMC midshipmen are part of the nrotc program.

It looks like the term for non-scholarship participation is College Program . This is Auburn's page. In general I've found that the sites for specific units have far more info than the umbrella NROTC website.

There are some three and two year scholarships possible. But the numbers available depend on the needs of the service. I think the phrase for being accepted into the program as a junior on a track towards commissioning is called advanced standing (this might be the name used just by Va Tech).

He may also want to look for info on PLC, Platoon Leader's Class which used to provide a USMC commissioning path for college students not in ROTC.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

Wow, thanks guys! So it sounds like most of the people in the NROTC program will be like him, NON-scholarship folks? Margaret, with that book, does it talk about kids in his situation? He truly is not scholarship material.

I know when it comes to a scholarship, there are the minimum requirements just to apply, but that to actually receive a scholarship you have to be the best of the best of the best. Are the requirements to just participate in the program the same as those minimum requirements?

Does anyone know how a cross-town affiliate works when it comes to an ROTC/NROTC program? It sounds as though he'd go to classes at one school but then take his ROTC classes at another? Or am I not understanding correctly?

What we were told is that if the student is not on scholarship, he can still participate in the program, for two years. However, if he's not good enough, he's not going to be going on. If he doesn't have the grades and test scores from high school to be even eligible to apply for the scholarships, is he likely to all of a sudden have them in college?
I think he might be able to be eligible to APPLY for the scholarship, but not get chosen, if that makes sense. He has no opportunity to do athletics really, and of the equally difficult things available to him, he's running out of time. For example, he could probably get a black-belt in Taekwon-Do to demonstrate excellence in athletics. There simply isn't enough time between now and when he'll apply, unless he goes to a belt mill, which makes the belt worthless anyway.:glare: He does work out constantly, so he IS physically fit, but it's nothing "official" or trackable, if that makes sense.

Thanks for all the info.!!!!

Another thing he has been tossing around is joining the Marine Reserves and doing that while he's in college. Any thoughts about that?

Another thing to investigate is the Simultaneous Membership Program. Enlistees in the Guard do it. Dd's roommate is a SMP. Of course, her college studies are being interrupted in order to deploy for a year (she's a medic) but then will be returning.
Just looked this up...it sounds like the Army's version of what I just mentioned about going to college while in the Reserves. Am I understanding that correctly?

Don't let the lack of athletics deter your son from trying for a scholarship, if that's what he wants. I, myself, had absolutely NO athletics AT ALL when I was in high school, other than gym class. (I was, however, still fit.) I was active in the music department and had good grades and test scores. I still got a type-2 four-year scholarship, which today is worth more than $72,000. While it's true that athletics would have won me a type-1 unlimited amount scholarship, I was still quite happy with the one that I did get.
Well...he doesn't have the other stuff either LOL. I mean, he MIGHT be able to do well enough to be eligible for the scholarship, but just barely.;)

You know, if you REALLY want to get the 4-1-1 on a specific NROTC program at a specific school, I suggest calling the detachment at the school itself and speaking with the NCOIC (should be a SGT of some flavor). They are the ones who REALLY know all the ins-and-outs of the program, and he/she should be able to give you good advice and point your son in the direction he needs to go to meet his goal. Most of them will be more than willing to sit down with a potential cadet and talk at length about the program and how to make it work for you.
Ah, good idea! Of course, he's not sure which school he wants to go to, but I'm thinking it will most likely be the University of Colorado since everything else is out of state and will cost an arm and a leg.;)

He may also want to look for info on PLC, Platoon Leader's Class which used to provide a USMC commissioning path for college students not in ROTC.

:iagree:

My husband is a Marine officer, though he's been in 15 years so I'm not the most up-to-date on this stuff anymore. However, PLC is widely regarded as a much better deal if you are not on scholarship. More time in service credit, fewer hoops and obligations.

Did you know that he could do NROTC from CU Denver?

Yep.:D It's a cross-town affiliate, so apparently he'd have to go up to Boulder for his NROTC stuff, but yep yep yep.:D

:iagree:

My husband is a Marine officer, though he's been in 15 years so I'm not the most up-to-date on this stuff anymore. However, PLC is widely regarded as a much better deal if you are not on scholarship. More time in service credit, fewer hoops and obligations.

REALLY....HMMMMMMMMM.