Menu

Exploring Science by Elemental Science

BlessedMomto3

Hi Hive!

Has anyone used/is using Exploring Science by Elemental Science? I've been searching for information on it and am interested by what I have seen, but wanted to hear some real reviews. I would love to be able to put together lessons on my own without purchasing a curriculum, but our schedule is just so busy - having something telling me what to do lesson-by-lesson sounds great.

Any opinions out there? What age would you say it's geared for, how long do the lessons take, how much material gathering is there?

Thanks!

I bought it a few months ago for my 4 year old ds. It's been just ok for us. Some of the topics he liked (water, bugs) but some of the topics (air) were kindof boring to him. I'm just going interest-led at this point. I think I will continue to just let him pursue his interests in science. The notebook pages are nice to have ready to print, but again, my ds wasn't really interested in sitting down and "notebooking" anything. If I were you, I'd just get the "science play" book recommended and go with the flow, get library books . . .

I had the "spine" for a long time, and it just wasn't getting done. So I appreciate Exploring Science for giving me direction, in that regard. BUT...it still isn't getting done as often as I'd like. Isn't that always the way with science, though?!

As for ages, I think it's supposed to be PreK. We started in PreK and are still plugging away in Kinder. It's really easy to beef up or scale back as your interest/time changes. I try to get all the suggested books each week, and do the experiments. They're all hands on, and great for the intended age. The weekly crafts are sometimes really great...like painting with sand. Good age appropriate exploration. And so far nothing has been required that I couldn't get at a grocery store or Wal-Mart. There's also a Nature Study each week, to go along with the lessons. The week you study leaves you go out and collect leaves. So it's very simple, but gives you something to actually DO or LOOK FOR when you're outside.

I think for the money, you can't go wrong. Especially if you're really looking for something to guide you and get you moving in the right direction.

We bought it last year and have worked on it off and on. Dd really enjoys it, and the activities are just right for a preschooler. You definitely do need the experiment book that goes with it, because the book doesn't always reiterate the experiments, but even then, you can't beat the price.

We bought it last year and have worked on it off and on. Dd really enjoys it, and the activities are just right for a preschooler. You definitely do need the experiment book that goes with it, because the book doesn't always reiterate the experiments, but even then, you can't beat the price.

:iagree:

I bought this to use with my ds3 for his early preschool year this year and he has really enjoyed it!! I however can see using this for next year as well for his k4 year.