Menu

Finding readers based on phonics skill

sweetpea3829

Brian P. Cleary has a nice set. We have a number of them out from the library right now. They are not regular storybooks, but have a cute picture with 3 side pictures emphasizing the learned sound (e.g. The nice mice played dice in the rice. The main picture was just that, while the side pictures were mice, rice, and dice).

I don't know of a search engine or website for you.

Yeah, I'm looking for books with a bit of substance, like Sheep on a Jeep. Something that they can read that will reinforce the phonics concept being taught. I'm surprised there isn't a database or search engine out there. I wonder if we could start one here? If there'd be an interest to make a list of the phonics skills and then add books that we know of that reinforce that skill.

I use the 1963 Lippincott Basic Reading basals. They have stories starting at about four pages and working up to twelve or so at the end of first grade. Each one is cumulative and reinforces the phonics learned up to that point. There are five books that include explicit phonics instruction: Pre-Primer, Primer, 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1. 2-1 reviews the first four books, but at a quicker pace and with more challenging readings. 2-2 through 6 are just selections of literature.

We use the Nora Gaydos readers too. But I have always used Dr Seuss. :tongue_smilie: Beginner Books at first. We just slowly work through them as we learn phonics. Online you could read the Starfall "readers." Eventually work your way up to reading Apple Tree Farm books and I Can Read books. Mother Goose rhymes make good first reading exercises as well.

Honestly I've never really tried to align the books to a specific phonics skill. Just offered them and allowed the boys to conquer them at their pace.