Menu

Reading question

MrsBanjoClown

DS8 is probably reading on a late 3rd to early 4th grade reading level solidly. At the library last week, he was browsing in the juvenile fiction section and found a Star Wars book called The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader. He really wanted to check it out, so I let him, even though I was concerned it would be too far above his reading level. When I got home, I looked it up on Scholastic's book wizard and it lists it as level 7.4. Amazon says it is for ages 8 and up. I had him read a couple of pages out loud to me, and he needed some help pronouncing a couple of words and asked what one word meant. This hasn't stopped him from reading it, as he is currently on page 140 out of 211. Would you allow your child to continue to check out other books on this level (there are several in this series) or would you make him wait a while? This is for pleasure reading, not for school.

I think that if he's able to read something and is enjoying it then there's no reason to make him wait. My DS8 often wants to try reading more advanced books, but he is dyslexic and I'm always anxious that the struggling and frustration will put him off reading altogether. I do let him try, as I believe it's important to allow him to challenge himself, but when it becomes obvious that a book is beyond him I find something exciting that's more suitable.

I would let read whatever he wants despite reading level (content is a different matter, of course). I really think wanting to read higher level books continually edges my older two up the reading scale. I've been surprised what they will tackle. Sometimes it is too hard and they don't finish it, but often they do and enjoy it.

I would let read whatever he wants despite reading level (content is a different matter, of course). I really think wanting to read higher level books continually edges my older two up the reading scale. I've been surprised what they will tackle. Sometimes it is too hard and they don't finish it, but often they do and enjoy it.

:iagree: As long as the content is appropriate, I allow them to read whatever they want.