Menu

S/O-Sensory Processing Disorder website(s)?

6wishes

I have a 4 yr. old exhibiting behaviors that I am trying to determine if they are just typical 4 yr. old behaviors or if he could be suffering from something more. Can anyone offer a good website(s) that list symptoms of sensory processing disorder?

Thanks!

Thaks so much! I will start here. He actually goes to preschool at our neighborhood ps, and he has an IEP for speech, and academics...he is about to be closed out on both, but according to this website,it says that you should go through the school system if they're over 3. Does this mean that the school has one they work with with the local AEA, and this is where I should start? Is the OT the person that actually do this? He hit certain things on the checklist, in very specific areas, but then nothing at all in other areas.

I don't know if this answers your question but I find it hard to navigate the AEA and public schools and all that (but my son isn't in school so I'm sure your case is different). I just took my child in for an evaluation with the OT even though I didn't think OT was right. Turns out it was! They were all over the sensory thing and it helped a lot. I was sure my son had auditory processing but speech told me no way. He does have some sensory/vestibular issues and whatnot but having that eval was priceless. I don't know if that's an option for you?! This was a children's therapy center through the local hospital.

Thanks for your help. I just have a question in right now to see if they even deal with this kind of thing. After talking with our ped's office this morning, they suggested I try the AEA route since we're already involved in that process. But, I don't have any problem going outside of that either to locate my own OT.

When you have that appt. with the OT, are they diagnosing it based off of you filling out a big list of what you've experience with dc, or are there other tests they perform to figure this out? Do they have to experience so many things on "the list" to earn the diagnosis? And what if they come back and say "yes, your dc has this"? What is the treatment for it? I'm just trying to wrap my mind around what this is exactly and for some reason it feels more abstract then when I've been researching dyslexia which seems more black and white to me.

Thanks!

Well, I filled out a pretty long questionnaire but they did a lot of tests, too. There were tests where he sat at a desk doing things and then more physical tests, as well. The listening thing seemed to based on what I said and they did this listening integration therapy with him for that issue. The speech therapist evaluated when the OT referred him and she's the one that ruled out auditory (in case that's a concern).

My OT just said it's almost impossible to figure out if a behavior is sensory or a discipline issue. And it's very hard as a parent to know how to deal w/these things as they come up in daily life. I just don't know that they will give you a black/white diagnosis. Maybe they will--I only know from my 1 experience. :)

It is very abstract and I feel your pain there.

It is frustrating because there isn't a blood test or a clear cut answer. It can be difficult to sort out what part is the age, the personality, and what part is sensory dysfunction. The OT evaluation will include both checklists and observations of how your child does with various activities. The treatment typically includes both time "playing" with the OT and also home activities or a "sensory diet." For many families the most helpful thing is just understanding sensory integration better and learning ways to build appropriate sensory activities into the day.

The Sensory Smart Child book is worth reading (from the library or buying it). The other classic is the Out of Sync Child book as well as the Out of Sync Child Has Fun (which is a good source of activities). For me the Sensory Smart book is a bit more substantial and it felt like a better starting place.

Thanks! That website had a lot of great info. also, and it referenced the high linkage of people with SPD and ADHD, so my next question is can a neuropsych. diagnose SPD? I'm already questioning if he has dyslexia, and am wondering if a neuropsych. can test, if I should start there, and then head to the OT if a neuropsych. finds he has it?

Thanks! That website had a lot of great info. also, and it referenced the high linkage of people with SPD and ADHD, so my next question is can a neuropsych. diagnose SPD? I'm already questioning if he has dyslexia, and am wondering if a neuropsych. can test, if I should start there, and then head to the OT if a neuropsych. finds he has it?

Yes to the bolded, but even a neuropsych will refer you for OT if they diagnose SPD. The OT is how the SPD is treated. :)

I do think the neuropsych is a good place to start if you think there are multiple issues going on, but you may be overwhelmed by all the suggestions that come out of it. I know we were and we had already done 3 yrs of OT at that point. Now, we are just trying to knock out the recommendations 1 at a time. Next up is probably a sleep study. :tongue_smilie:

The STAR Center website also has a lot of wonderful information. The founder has a book entitled, Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder by Lucy Jane Miller. A lot of the books have checklists which are really helpful. I would say one big factor for me in trying to decide whether our daughter had sensory issues was asking myself, "Does my child's behavior affect what we do and where we go as a family?" It definitely keeps us home, out of crowded places, away from parades, movies, etc. The checklists will give you a great idea and then you'll know if you should move forward. You can even call, or email the STAR Center and ask questions. They are quite helpful. I also liked the book 'Parenting a Child with Sensory Processing Disorder' by Christopher R. Auer. I highlighted and underlined a lot in this book. 'Raising a Sensory Smart Child' by Lindsey Biel and Nancy Peske paints an excellent picture (page 15) on how it must feel to have SPD. I refer to this all the time when trying to explain our daughter's sensory issues. Also, when looking for an OT make sure to find one who specializes in sensory issues. Not all have this experience.

STAR Center

http://spdstar.org

Blessings,