Menu

Give me some reasons to switch to R&S Spelling

Ewe Mama

We have been working our way through AAS 1 & 2 and I'm ready for a change.

I like the rules, but I'm looking for something more independent, like most users.

I have looked into R&S Spelling. We used it with our eldest for 1 year (Grade 2), but the words were so arbitrary, that it drove me nuts.

I was looking at the word lists for the first two lessons of Grade 4 R&S (where most people seem to make the switch). Here is what I'm seeing:

Lesson 1

Bible

copy

drum

east

fence

copy

grain

hundred

myself

pump

puppy

ready

skin

soup

steam

study

unless

until

west

windows

Lesson 2

arrow

beads

beans

body

bottom

buggy

hammer

heap

kitty

market

papers

penny

rabbit

rod

roots

rub

team

tiger

weeds

I see some words that follow a rule, but the rest seem to be arbitrary. Does it improve as the lessons continue, or are the first lessons a good indicator of what follows?

SO many people on the boards have said that R&S teaches and follows spelling rules, but I'm not seeing it in the lists.

I remember liking the exercises in the R&S workbooks, but I would like some insight from current R&S Spelling users about how the rules are taught and why I'm not seeing it reflected in the lists.

Thank you for your help!

Edited by Sheep Lady Mama
spacing

Grade 3 has word lists focusing on one concept. Grade 4 focuses more on phonics and syllabication, but not just one concept at a time.

Btw, we went from AAS3 to R&S3. We'll start 4 in a couple months. I have it here, and it will present a phonics rule and have the child notice the spelling words that use that rule.

I too wasn't enamored with grade 2. Grade 3 involves more phonics, and grade 4 is heavily phonics based. It's just not all a list of words spelled â€ee†or anything like that, which I think is fine at that level.

The word lists don't give you the full picture. Have you looked at samples of the exercises themselves? I think they pretty much analyze every word's spelling, plus sometimes break words into syllables, add suffixes, etc. It's very thorough, and my dc have done great with it. (We are using 2nd, 4th, and 5th this year.) I love that it can be done mostly independently by them; I just spend a few minutes checking their daily work and giving them the test each week. And, you can't beat the price!

But did you look at the actual 4th grade lessons? Or just the word lists?

Lesson 2 teaches single- and double-letter consonant patterns; word meanings; syllables--VC/CV, and singular and plural nouns.

• The first exercise requires the children to write their spelling words which follow the following rules:
    At the beginning or end of a word, a consonant sound is usually spelled with a single letter; directions are to write the spelling words that begin with /b/; write the review words that end with /b/; write the new word that begins with a vowel sound.
  • Between two vowel sounds, a consonant sound is usually spelled with a single letter sound when the vowel sound before it is long (example: meter) When the first vowel sound is short, the consonant sound is usually spelled with double letters (example: mitten). Directions are to write a new word and a review word that have a long vowel followed by a single consonant ("paper" and "tiger"). Then they write eight spelling words that have a short vowel follwed by a double consonant. Finally, they write the new word which has /E/ spelled with "ee." For the Review Words, the children will write sentences from dictation.

And that's the first day's exercise.

If you don't have the free curriculum guides, you can get them by calling the publisher at (606) 522-4348.

Thank you, ladies. I did not look through all of the lesson samples when I posted...the little lions were roaring for their lunches.

I will definitely go back and do so. I suppose I have gotten accustomed to the AAS lists which have very obvious spelling rule tie-ins. With five kids so close in age, the fine art of subtlety is totally lost on me. :lol: