Menu

Family photos

Does anyone have any sort of guideline that they use when buying family portraits? The only thing I have done consistently is that we have an 8x10 of when each child turned 1. Other than that . . . we have sporadically had pictures taken when the kids were 5 and 7 and then again now when they are 9,11 and 1. How many of these pictures do I need to order? Will I hang them on the wall? Set them out to display? This seems like it should be easy, but I feel like I am making decisions in the dark.

Any advice??

We get "school" pictures taken every year. I buy an 8x10 of each of them and their most recent picture goes on shelves at the top of my steps. Previous years' pictures are in an album.

I also buy enough wallets for aunts/uncles/Godparents. That's it. I usually end up spending about $100 on photos each year.

Our kids are all older now (mostly teens). We take portraits annually, in time to send in Christmas cards. Now our college-aged son takes the pictures. I give enlargements (as gifts) to each set of grandparents, but now just make a collage (of 4x6s) for our family. We take a group shot as well as individual shots. We just use online Walgreens photo dept. We get 100 reprints of the family shot & distribute to the wider extended family and friends. Now that everything is digital, you can make more reprints later. We were thankful for all the pictures when it came time for the kids to do their high school graduation slide shows.

Edited by Beth S