Menu

Fred & Zaccaro - too similar?

My 10yo is loving LOF math, and so far it's working well as a stand-alone. I think she'd also like Zaccaro's Real World Algebra, but is it too much like Fred? She doesn't *need* anything else right now, but I'm sure at some point she'll benefit from a different perspective. I'm expecting to use Khan or Key To for the occasional roadblock or for extra practice. She can't wait to get into "real" algebra (2/3 through LOF Pre-Alg 1 right now and it's pretty easy for her). But if I get her started on Zaccaro will there be no point in doing LOF Algebra 1?

I sometimes jump back and forth between them just to slow things down. My 9 yo was bored w elementary math but i didnt think he was really ready for algebra . . so I go back and forth between LOF, Zaccaro and murderous maths. and occasional worksheets in there.

Is Zaccaro's Real World Algebra even considered a complete stand alone Algebra 1 text? I'm curious because I'm planning to use it as a supplemental to a more traditional Algebra 1 program. I'm not sure its scope and sequence would be enough to use alone however. On the other hand I think LOF can be considered stand alone from Algebra on.

For those who use both LOF and Zaccaro's RWA I would be interested to hear of the differences in terms of scope, challenge, style, etc...?

Edited by dereksurfs

I thought real world algebra was way lower than algebra 1 . . . but i only glanced over it

That's the impression I had too - maybe not the whole book, but at least some of it. So she could start it before finishing LOF pre-alg2, but then I don't want LOF algebra 1 to be a waste of time afterward.

my son likes to run fast through things but doesnt retain that well, so for him its ok to do both - we finished up primary challenge math and LOF fractions last year in 3rd grade, though. So for me, its not too much of a worry. I just keep re-evaluating after each book and go from there.

well, not entirely true. I posted a question asking if i should do LOF prealgebra, or AoPS prealgebra, or Challenge Math or what, because i'm not sure he'll be mature enough for AoPS next year, but could I do one and then the other, or . . . and basically everyone pointed out that if i read my own post clearly enough, i knew what to do next, and cant plan now for next year because he might have matured to a totally different place where he needs something different.

its hard to choose tho!