Menu

Growth Hormone Stimulation Test?

Our pediatric endocrinologist is recommending this test for our son...anyone done this? What can I expect? I looked it up and see it is an IV/blood draw given over the course of a few hours. The blood test was traumatic enough:001_huh: for our little man...hoping to hear some positive, "it was a breeze" stories but would like to hear the others too so we can make an informed decision.

Thanks!

We have gone through this coupled with the ACTH stimulation test. We actually had to repeat the ACTH stim test two more times which meant 3 trips to that office, 3 IVs, and 3 mornings of fasting.

For us, it was relatively painless. My ds did not have many problems with the IV even though the second time he was poked three times. Ds did not have any side effects from the medication. We brought activities to do while there but they had a list of movies to choose from and ds chose to watch a movie instead. He was starving after we were finished so I took him to lunch which he enjoyed since it was just the two of us.

I recommend arriving early so you can get started as soon as possible.

When they say drink water, they aren't kidding, make sure your ds has plenty of water in the morning which will make the insertion of the IV easier.

Ask if they have any type of numbing agent you can use. If your son is sensitive or worried about the needle stick ask if you can have a prescription for EMLA cream so you can apply it to both arms prior to coming to the appointment. It is a numbing agent that works really well.

If you have any other questions please let me know. My ds was diagnosed with growth hormone deficiency and has been taking nightly shots since last spring.

We have gone through this coupled with the ACTH stimulation test. We actually had to repeat the ACTH stim test two more times which meant 3 trips to that office, 3 IVs, and 3 mornings of fasting.

For us, it was relatively painless. My ds did not have many problems with the IV even though the second time he was poked three times. Ds did not have any side effects from the medication. We brought activities to do while there but they had a list of movies to choose from and ds chose to watch a movie instead. He was starving after we were finished so I took him to lunch which he enjoyed since it was just the two of us.

I recommend arriving early so you can get started as soon as possible.

When they say drink water, they aren't kidding, make sure your ds has plenty of water in the morning which will make the insertion of the IV easier.

Ask if they have any type of numbing agent you can use. If your son is sensitive or worried about the needle stick ask if you can have a prescription for EMLA cream so you can apply it to both arms prior to coming to the appointment. It is a numbing agent that works really well.

If you have any other questions please let me know. My ds was diagnosed with growth hormone deficiency and has been taking nightly shots since last spring.

Thanks so much for your response! Have you seen a big change since he began the shots? Do you give him the injections? How long do you expect the shots to last?

I will be speaking with the office tomorrow to get more details...poor guy fainted after the bloodwork so I know this will be a major stretch for all!

Appreciate any other info you can give:)

Thanks!!

Since starting the injections ds is finally growing! I can't express how happy I was when he finally grew out of a pair of shoes this summer and then quickly grew out of the next pair. He had previously been in the same shoe size since he was three, he is now six.

If I remember correctly, children with growth hormone deficiency take the injections until their projected adult height is reached and children who are diagnosed with idiopathic short stature take them until they are on their projected growth curve.

Dh and I give ds his injections six nights a week. We use EMLA cream to numb the area and try to distract him, currently we read to him poised to give the injection and give it to him when he is not expecting it. This strategy is ds' choice.

Gotta go to gymnastics, let me know if you have other questions.

SJ

Since starting the injections ds is finally growing! I can't express how happy I was when he finally grew out of a pair of shoes this summer and then quickly grew out of the next pair. He had previously been in the same shoe size since he was three, he is now six.

If I remember correctly, children with growth hormone deficiency take the injections until their projected adult height is reached and children who are diagnosed with idiopathic short stature take them until they are on their projected growth curve.

Dh and I give ds his injections six nights a week. We use EMLA cream to numb the area and try to distract him, currently we read to him poised to give the injection and give it to him when he is not expecting it. This strategy is ds' choice.

Gotta go to gymnastics, let me know if you have other questions.

SJ

Thanks again...our ds is 10...I'll be interested to hear from the doctor tomorrow...I do so appreciate all of this info:)

Since your son is older I believe the goal will be to teach him to do the injections himself. We were told that eventually ds would be expected to have this responsibility.

Wow! I am anxious to speak with the office tomorrow to get the details filled in...thanks so much for all of your info...you may be hearing more from me in the days ahead:tongue_smilie:!!