Menu

SCM history/geo/Bible vs Biblioplan

Mommie_Jen

I've recently discovered the SCM site and plans. While the whole shebang isn't really what I am looking for, I like the look of the history. I had planned on using MFW for first grade, but I am second guessing myself because DS is already at that the MFW first grade level for writing and math. I am thinking f new first grade plans now and thinking of and studying the SCM material samples. His anyone used it for more than a year? Using it now? Thoughts and opinions on it? What about the SCM method of history going through history in 2 cycles vs the traditional classical method of 3 times? (because I am also thinking of Biblioplan...)

This is our first year using SCM History Plans. I am enjoying our year and so our my boys.

We have struggled up until now finding a history we liked. We didn't enjoy SOTW or CHOTW so I ended up using them as outlines and covering what I wanted to. I think that worked okay for the first few years but it was a lot of work for me.

I see myself continuing to use SCM History Plans as we go forward although I am trying to figure out how to make 5 volumes fit in 3 years. I feel like volume 6 is just right and covers the same time period as SOTW book 4.

I find the amount of history to be the right amount in the day. The work at the lower levels especially is listening and narrating then adding in any crafts you want and find.

Thank you! I appreciate your thoughts. I am wondering about doing it 4 years instead of 6 also! I am seriously considering more of a year round school, so perhaps between that and combining lessons sometimes it would work.

Edited by Mommie_Jen

I have not looked closely at the first years of SCM but I will be as this year progresses. I am thinking that if we read some books at a little faster pace and skip a few things it should all work out for 4 years. The one thing I have read is that the first 2 years are very heavy on Bible History and while that is very important to us, it will not be the focus of our school for history. To me bible history is important in the big picture but the extras are to be studied as bible not history.

• 3 months later...

We used MFW 1st last year and are currently using Adventure with my two boys (5 and 7). I am considering switching to the SCM history for next year.

When we started MFW 1st my son was already ahead of the reading level as well. We trudged through it but he HATED it. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal cause it was easy, but we eventually dropped the blue book. He enjoyed the Bible reader but was very unhappy with the Bible notebook. He was frustrated he couldn't draw that well and really disliked writing the summary sentences.

Looking back now, I wish I had done something like SCM. I really created a negative attitude in his mind about school from that one year. I know lots of moms on this board are push, push, pushing in those early years but I think the gentle pace of SCM is perfect for that age.

We school year round so I was hoping to fit the 6 years into 5. They should be coming out with a new guide in the next few weeks to include the new spine.

• 4 months later...

I'm interested both in Biblioplan and SCM History Guides (yes, the ones at simplycharlottemason.com.) It will be a year or two until we start, as oldest ds is only 4. I've thought about doing BP for Ancients, then SCM for the other three. Of course there is also SOTW; I previewed those books several years ago, and liked the last three volumes much better than the first.

One thing I like about Biblioplan and SCM is they both have samples to download so you can see what it looks like. SCM's includes their booklist. So if you've got the same questions, I'd suggest looking at those to get a feel for the material. I do like the you can buy individual items from BP, so I might use that to supplement something else if I can't afford the whole BP package...