Menu

BJU math for 4th and up? opinions?

CactusPair

Thanks for any feedback on the middle and upper levels of BJU math.

We haven't used this program before, but I'm looking at the possibility of switching to something mastery-based and colorful.

My dd is in 5th grade, but is struggling with comprehension, retention, and memorization.

We used Horizons in the past, but it's no longer working. She tried Singapore briefly, but she gets confused.

much appreciation

For the Elementary yrs (K-6th) the Math is teacher intensive. It is a solid math program. I have used it for 20yrs and even though I have tried other math programs I always go back to BJU for elementary math. The pre-algebra and algebra books are also excellent, especially since they have redone them. These are written so the student can do them solo but the teacher's manual is recommended because the problems are worked out in there. They are currently redoing the Algebra 2, Geometry (this one might be out already), and pre-calculus books which is good because there were many problems with them.

I've used it for 2nd -4th grade math. Ds will finish 4th grade by right after Christmas. He really enjoys it more than any other math I tried, and it is a good, solid math program. There isn't much teaching to the student on the actual student pages, so it does rely heavily on the teacher, but it was designed for classroom use as well. The newest edition TMs come with a CD-ROM that is full of extra helps (facts practice, reteaching sheets, enrichment pages, teacher visuals). The TMs are expensive but well worth the money and hold a good resale value.

I was debating earlier if I should continue it because I didn't know that BJU has revised their upper middle school courses and Algebra 1. After hearing what some on here had to say about those newer editions, I'll probably be sticking with BJU. I want to look at them at the convention in the spring, but after I looked through the samples online, I feel I'll just be sticking with BJU all the way through.

I don't know if there is a placement test, but I know that Horizons is advanced. You might want to look at the table of contents and scope and sequence for 4th and 5th. I would be glad to answer any specific questions about 4th, but I don't have the materials yet for 5th.

I agree with Down the Rabbit Hole that BJU math is teacher intensive. But IMO, there's nothing better out there for K-6th math if you want a mastery program.

FWIW, though, I thought their 7th grade program and PreAlgebra were just so-so. I really liked Algebra 1 for ER, who did well with it. But it did.not.work. for EK, who needed a spiral program that moves slower, so for her, we used Teaching Textbooks for upper level math.