Menu

5th grade daughter

mytwomonkeys

my daughter is almost 11 & in 5th grade. this week she wrote her first paper completely independent of me ( i realize some kids love to write, write, write, but my daughter has not been in that category yet). she chose the topic, did the research, completed the rough draft, and typed the final paper all without a word from me! this is a huge accomplishment for her even from just last year. anyway. this assignment was very simple. we are studying mammals, and i asked her to research any mammal of her choice and tell me about it. this is what she wrote...

Golden Lion Tamarin Monkeys

Golden lion tamarin monkeys are one of my favorite mammals. Did you know their average life span is 15yrs? They are endangered animals. Currenly there are only 1,500 left in the wild.

Golden lion tamarin monkeys are located in the coastal rain forests of Brazil. They spend most of their lives in tree tops. They actually cannot use their tails to hold or climb on to trees. Instead, they use their claw-like fingernails to help them climb.

Golden lion tamarin monkeys are social animals, and they live in groups together that are called troops. They even somtimes share food.

The mother usually gives birth to twins. Everybody in the troop helps take care of the baby, including the father. The mother stops looking after them when their three months old.

Golden lion tamarin monkeys are omnivores. They hunt in the day for fruit,insects,small lizards,small mammals,and small reptiles. Their predators are hawks, cats, large snakes, and rats. These predators hunt the monkeys in the night. Forunately, golden lion tamarin monkeys hide in small places, so larger predators can't get to them at night.

These reasons and more are why golden lion tamarins are one of my favorite mammals. I hope one day I can see one in person!

I'm not going to correct this paper at all, but I would love ideas for future assignments (as there will be similar ones coming up). Should I be more specific in what I'm looking for? What does that look like? Thank you for taking time to read this and for your thoughts:)

Amy

I'm not going to correct this paper at all, but I would love ideas for future assignments (as there will be similar ones coming up).

Are you looking for writing prompts? One of our homeschooling friends bought a writing prompt workbook on amazon, but I'm not sure what it's called.

Is the book Unjournaling something you might be looking for?

http://www.amazon.com/Unjournaling-Cheryl-Miller-Thurston/dp/1877673706/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349444464&sr=8-1&keywords=unjournaling