Menu

Reading Level--Is there any harm

ChristineW

DS is in first grade. Reading assessments show that he is reading roughly at a Grade 2 third month level (DRA 18-22; Level L). He's really into reading right now and can gobble a Ricky Ricotta or Roscoe Riley Rules book in a few hours. DS saw 39 Clues at the library and really wants to read it. He says that he read 6 pages in the 20 minutes we were in the library. He definitely retained some of it, but not full comprehension. Is there any harm in letting him try books that are too hard? What would you do? There are some books that I want to wait before I let him tackle because he'd be missing a lot; but for fluff, does it matter?

Christine

I let my daughter try to read whatever she wanted to try (if it was age-appropriate). You can help him with words that are too hard, and if it is much too hard, your son will probably give the book up on his own. I would let him check out the 39 Clues book along with some others, and he can blast through the easier ones and work on the harder ones at his own pace. The more he reads the books that are a little bit hard for him, the more he will learn. A little challenge is a good thing, as long as it doesn't squelch his love for reading and as long as its his choice. =)

DD has done this before; she'll choose a book that's clearly above her level but she's impressed with herself for being able to get through a bit. She'll carry it around for a few days, read a few pages here and there (like your DS without fully comprehending it) and then she'll abandon it.

I just look at it as a positive sign that she's interested in reading and wants to improve.