Menu

Halcyon, et. al., how are your Fresh20 menus going?

I don't always pick the freshly published menu (picking one from the archives instead), but I've made it a rule we're not going to repeat a dish through the end of the year. My youngest is still less than adventurous, though she'll pick at the small portions I give her if I don't look (she has some long-standing texture and smell issues). But DD the Elder and DH are into it, and so far I'm pleased. :)

What is a Fresh20 menu? :bigear:

Seasonal five-day-a-week meal plans with 20 ingredient to purchase (plus pantry). There are three menu options, "classic," vegetarian, and gluten-free. We're using classic. A few people here purchased it on Groupon not long ago.

http://www.thefresh20.com/

That looks really neat, and they even have a gluten free option. When my dds were really little, we tried the meal plan recommended by flylady. I can't remember what it is called. I found my dh was much more willing to cook when he had the recipe set out and all of the ingredients on hand. We also tried lots of new recipes. Maybe I'll give Fresh20 a try. I'm curious to hear what others think about the recipes. :bigear:

That looks really neat, and they even have a gluten free option. When my dds were really little, we tried the meal plan recommended by flylady. I can't remember what it is called. I found my dh was much more willing to cook when he had the recipe set out and all of the ingredients on hand. We also tried lots of new recipes. Maybe I'll give Fresh20 a try. I'm curious to hear what others think about the recipes. :bigear:

I'm happy with both the quality of the recipes and the instructions. Unlike other plans I'd looked at, the ingredients are all fresh or simple and minimally processed. There's no "Add a can of mushroom soup," or "Add a packet of taco seasoning."

I'm happy with both the quality of the recipes and the instructions. Unlike other plans I'd looked at, the ingredients are all fresh or simple and minimally processed. There's no "Add a can of mushroom soup," or "Add a packet of taco seasoning."

That is nice. By the time I looked up a recipe for taco seasoning or dairy free cream of whatever soup mix, I'd no longer feel the recipe was simple. :tongue_smilie:

How heavy on dairy are the recipes? I don't mind subbing out small quantities of milk, but cheesy dishes can rarely be altered properly.

Hey there! I am happy! I actually am on the lookout for a groupon as i want to buy the vegetarian option also...i want to have the option of doing either a meatfree week or a meat week. I have a bunch of photos which i still need to upload of dishes we've made :glare:

I love the weekly shopping list. I cant tell you how much i used to dread weekly shopping, but now i just whiz eough the list, throw in lunch stuff and anything else we have run out of, and done. I havent saved money, however. I spend about 75 on dinner stuff, and then another 50 or so on other stuff, so my budget hasnt decreased.

I am going to keep going with it!

That is nice. By the time I looked up a recipe for taco seasoning or dairy free cream of whatever soup mix, I'd no longer feel the recipe was simple. :tongue_smilie:

I know that sinking feeling of, "But that's not in *my* pantry!" The service uses a "Pantry 20" that is easy to accumulate. Anything not in this pantry counts as one of the 20 weekly ingredients.

How heavy on dairy are the recipes? I don't mind subbing out small quantities of milk, but cheesy dishes can rarely be altered properly.
I haven't seen milk, but there's been some sour cream or Greek yogurt, often as garnish, and one recipe with cream. Shredded cheddar has been the most common dairy ingredient, often, but but always as a topping or in a side of quesadillas. We use the Classic plan.

ETA: Next week's menu has one day with dairy, shredded cheddar for cheddar and apple quesadillas to accompany Savory Pear and Apple Soup.

Edited by nmoira

I've been really pleased with the veg menus--they often have a dairy-free substitution that works well. This week we did the dairy-free pasta primavera with olive oil, garlic, vegetable broth, and tarragon and it was great.