Menu

Prentice Hall Sciene Explorer users...

Did you use the workbooks? If not, what did you use?

I started my planning based on using only the hardback text and creating a science notebook.

Here's my plan:

-Read each section (green title)

-change each subsection (purple heading) into a question and answer

-define words in bold

-complete Checkpoints at end of section

-complete Section Review

-perform Real World Lab or Skill Lab

-Chapter Review (could this be used as a test?)

Does this sound feasible? I have a reluctant writer (he'd love worksheets), so I know I'm going to have to do a lot of hand holding until he gets up to speed on note-taking.

I'd love to hear any ideas...

Thanks

K

I have been reluctant to answer because it took me a while to understand what you are proposing. I was hoping some of the more experience SE users would answer, but I'll try.

I do use the workbook after each section is read. I use the section assessments a lesson later for review. I use the review and assessment at the end of each chapter. I spend one day per chapter doing whatever experiments I can handle and looking up some of the online activities.

For my son, doing things like changing each subsection into a question and answer, writing out the definitions for each word in bold, and completing each checkpoint would kill any enjoyment, and therefore any benefit, we get out of this series.

That said, we are not very science-oriented people here. My goal is to expose ds to good quality material in the most enjoyable manner possible.

Good luck!

We use the workbook as a review. Pages are read, experiments done. Then workbooks pages a couple days behind the reading. That way, my daughter goes back over the material in order to fill in the worksheets. Not the ideal way to study science, but we actually made a ton of progress this year.

Like Sue said, if I had my dd do that much writing, she would hate the series.

I have her do the workbook pages (just know that there isn't an answer key) after the reading. Instead of the chapter assessment, I just have her do the online quiz. Sometimes we do a lot of the labs in a book and sometimes we do very few. My dd is a science nut, so there are plenty of experiments in the series that she has already done multiple times and has no desire to repeat again.

I wanted him to do the note taking/writing from the chapter so he learns how to take notes from a textbook. I am hearing from most here that the workbooks with the end of section/chapter reviews will be enough. You are probably right. :confused:

We are planning on using HO for history, I guess he will get the note-taking in with that.

Thanks again for your advice. I needed a reality check on what I was planning,and you all gave it to me. My ds will appreciate it!!

K