Menu

Question about Hake grammar. What do I buy

justLisa

Hm. Well he doesn't want to do MCT. He wants something basic like a workbook he can just open and do on his own for the most part.

He has decided this year he is self teaching :glare:

He asked me if I could find everything he can do on his own. I told him we can meet somewhere in the middle.

We have just gone through the same thing here. MCT just wasn't doing it for us this year... there were pieces of it I liked, but he wasn't into it... and it's far too teacher intensive for him not to be into it, LOL!!

I also purchased the Hake homeschool package through CBD... I think it was around $60 with shipping. We use the text as a write in workbook... as Wendy said, the pages are really thin and not of great quality. It's not a text you'd probably pass down through a large family. DS just does the exercises right in the text... if it says write the predicate, I tell him to underline the predicate, that sort of thing. We *just* started last week so we're not to any of the writing exercises just yet.

We're also in "get it done" mode for LA this year. :) But I do think Hake is a solid program.

We have just gone through the same thing here. MCT just wasn't doing it for us this year... there were pieces of it I liked, but he wasn't into it... and it's far too teacher intensive for him not to be into it, LOL!!

I also purchased the Hake homeschool package through CBD... I think it was around $60 with shipping. We use the text as a write in workbook... as Wendy said, the pages are really thin and not of great quality. It's not a text you'd probably pass down through a large family. DS just does the exercises right in the text... if it says write the predicate, I tell him to underline the predicate, that sort of thing. We *just* started last week so we're not to any of the writing exercises just yet.

We're also in "get it done" mode for LA this year. :) But I do think Hake is a solid program.

That is my feeling. I actually put MCT away and out of my sight because I feel bad for not using it. But why? I'm sort of over it. I was looking at Easy Grammar and Hake. I can't decide. The crappy paper kind of bugs me. DS kind of has a death grip and already mangles his papers LOL.

That is my feeling. I actually put MCT away and out of my sight because I feel bad for not using it. But why? I'm sort of over it. I was looking at Easy Grammar and Hake. I can't decide. The crappy paper kind of bugs me. DS kind of has a death grip and already mangles his papers LOL.

I don't know much about Easy Grammar, so I can't compare the two. My DS does write kind of hard as well, but he hasn't torn it apart yet, LOL!! You could, if your son doesn't mind the writing, have him do the exercises in a notebook... but that would have been too much for my kiddo. The paper does bug me, but not enough for it to be a deal breaker.

And... I sold our MCT package. :) I figured I didn't want to see it staring at me from the shelf!! :tongue_smilie:

We really like Hake. The thin paper doesn't bother us much. I think the content is solid and the example sentences are interesting (much more so than GWG). I like that there is some vocabulary incorporated in the program. Also, I think the content meshes really well with FLL -- we had a seamless transition between FLL4 and Hake 6.

We do the lesson and practice exercises together orally, and then I have dds do the review exercises independently in a separate notebook. It doesn't take much time at all.

We are using the writing lessons from the student workbook because there aren't many, they are short, and they do offer solid instruction in basics, from what I can see, so far. We also use WWS1, for what it's worth. It's working out fine to do both.

HTH.

I don't know much about Easy Grammar, so I can't compare the two. My DS does write kind of hard as well, but he hasn't torn it apart yet, LOL!! You could, if your son doesn't mind the writing, have him do the exercises in a notebook... but that would have been too much for my kiddo. The paper does bug me, but not enough for it to be a deal breaker.

And... I sold our MCT package. :) I figured I didn't want to see it staring at me from the shelf!! :tongue_smilie:

DId you go in at grade level? I would not do the writing portion. I wonder if there is a huge leap in the amount of writing in the grammar portion from the 4th to 5th grade. We essentially did 4th grade grammar last year

We really like Hake. The thin paper doesn't bother us much. I think the content is solid and the example sentences are interesting (much more so than GWG). I like that there is some vocabulary incorporated in the program. Also, I think the content meshes really well with FLL -- we had a seamless transition between FLL4 and Hake 6.

We do the lesson and practice exercises together orally, and then I have dds do the review exercises independently in a separate notebook. It doesn't take much time at all.

We are using the writing lessons from the student workbook because there aren't many, they are short, and they do offer solid instruction in basics, from what I can see, so far. We also use WWS1, for what it's worth. It's working out fine to do both.

HTH.

Thanks. We went through FLL last year so maybe going in to level 5 would be good.