Menu

Hunter, are you still using CTGE?

mama25angels

or are you just concentrating on How To Tutor, which i'll be buying soon on your recommendation? Have you used/seen Understanding Writing?

I own Understanding Writing and like it very much. I've been studying it this week in fact. Exodus Books often has used copies on sale for $25.00.

I am still consistently using the COMPOSITION instructions in CGE, almost daily. Right now I'm using the workbooks more as a writing handbook if you know what I mean? I tend to use the workbooks as is, when I'm seizing a lot and am super scattered and have a student who wants to work independently. Otherwise I tend to pull from them.

HTT gets the student copying and writing sentences in neat cursive right away. Both CGE and UW are excellent supplements for HTT. Writing simple but correct sentences in cursive is one of my primary early goals for language arts. I'm pretty OCD and really don't know what to do with student mess for writing.

If you like HTT, you might like A Guide to American Christian Education. It has a heavy worldview that many people will find disagreeable, BUT it's an incredibly useful teacher resource. I couldn't afford this book back in the 90's when it was so heavily advertised as a "must have". As I'm reading it now, I'm realizing how many current curricula are influenced by writers who must have read this book. If you decide you like the HTT math, you will love the math section of GACE.

Edited by Hunter

I own Understanding Writing and like it very much. I've been studying it this week in fact. Exodus Books often has used copies on sale for $25.00.

I am still consistently using the COMPOSITION instructions in CGE, almost daily. Right now I'm using the workbooks more as a writing handbook if you know what I mean? I tend to use the workbooks as is, when I'm seizing a lot and am super scattered and have a student who wants to work independently. Otherwise I tend to pull from them.

HTT gets the student copying and writing sentences in neat cursive right away. Both CGE and UW are excellent supplements for HTT. Writing simple but correct sentences in cursive is one of my primary early goals for language arts. I'm pretty OCD and really don't know what to do with student mess for writing.

If you like HTT, you might like A Guide to American Christian Education. It has a heavy worldview that many people will find disagreeable, BUT it's an incredibly useful teacher resource. I couldn't afford this book back in the 90's when it was so heavily advertised as a "must have". As I'm reading it now, I'm realizing how many current curricula are influenced by writers who must have read this book. If you decide you like the HTT math, you will love the math section of GACE.

Hunter would you recommend AGCE over HTT or should I try to get both? I have a copy of UW and was perusing it again this weekend, thinking how wonderful it would be along with CTGE.

Hunter would you recommend AGCE over HTT or should I try to get both? I have a copy of UW and was perusing it again this weekend, thinking how wonderful it would be along with CTGE.

I'd get HTT before GACE. GACE can wait, and is best understood AFTER reading HTT. I waited almost 20 years for it and nothing bad happened to me. :lol:

I don't want to encourage you to overspend, but I also didn't want to hold out on you, about a book I think you are going to want to eventually purchase. Both I and an online friend found copies for $11.00. Not the nicest copies, but copies all the same. I'm just giving you the heads up to keep an eye open.

UW and CGE are a good pairing. Remember not to get caught up in grade levels for either curriculum. Lay the foundation and move forward as comfortable. At one point I was pushing a student ahead too quickly and had to back off. When the student slows down and starts avoiding the lesson, it's time to review, and repeat easier writing lessons.

I'd get HTT before GACE. GACE can wait, and is best understood AFTER reading HTT. I waited almost 20 years for it and nothing bad happened to me. :lol:

I don't want to encourage you to overspend, but I also didn't want to hold out on you, about a book I think you are going to want to eventually purchase. Both I and an online friend found copies for $11.00. Not the nicest copies, but copies all the same. I'm just giving you the heads up to keep an eye open.

UW and CGE are a good pairing. Remember not to get caught up in grade levels for either curriculum. Lay the foundation and move forward as comfortable. At one point I was pushing a student ahead too quickly and had to back off. When the student slows down and starts avoiding the lesson, it's time to review, and repeat easier writing lessons.

Thank you for that reminder! I'll be starting level 1 with my 4th grader, but I was doing it with an eye for rushing him through and getting him to the correct level. I really need to remember to just move forward at his pace so that we don't start avoiding the lessons. I'll look for GCE used.

Thank you for that reminder! I'll be starting level 1 with my 4th grader, but I was doing it with an eye for rushing him through and getting him to the correct level. I really need to remember to just move forward at his pace so that we don't start avoiding the lessons. I'll look for GCE used.

The thing people are going to notice most is the things in the earliest books. Seriously. It's wonderful that 8 books are there, but I think many first generation families will fail to MASTER more than book 5. Book 6 is almost identical to book 5. Mastering book 5 will prepare a student adequately for junior college Comp and Grammar 101, and daily life. To better prepare for junior college research papers, I'd throw in some type of persuasive writing, if there is time. Book 5 does a good job of cementing outlining and an expository report, but doesn't teach a persuasive thesis. Most junior college student do not arrive able to write an expository or persuasive report, so at least having mastered the expository report is good. The English entrance tests only test basic sentence skills, and not longer forms of writing.

The thing people are going to notice most is the things in the earliest books. Seriously. It's wonderful that 8 books are there, but I think many first generation families will fail to MASTER more than book 5. Book 6 is almost identical to book 5. Mastering book 5 will prepare a student adequately for junior college Comp and Grammar 101, and daily life. To better prepare for junior college research papers, I'd throw in some type of persuasive writing, if there is time. Book 5 does a good job of cementing outlining and an expository report, but doesn't teach a persuasive thesis. Most junior college student do not arrive able to write an expository or persuasive report, so at least having mastered the expository report is good. The English entrance tests only test basic sentence skills, and not longer forms of writing.

Thank you!!