Menu

I need some sort of class activity for my coop this week HELP!!!

Michelle My Bell

I unexpectedly ended up teaching a 4-6th grade history class in my coop so I am not totally prepared for this. I am doing 3-4 week long units on different topics but I backed myself into a corner for this upcoming week and now I don't know what to do for the class.

The first week we learned a little about Vikings and played a Viking board game I made.

The second week we learned about Christopher Columbus and did a bunch of paper activities on him from a History Pockets book. This week I also assigned the kids to do reports on a different explorer each which is due week #4.

This upcoming week I don't want to do more paper activities (cost) but I need something to do. I also don't want to cover another explorer because I want the kids to do that on week 4.

Any ideas?

Cover sailing. Use a chip log and have one person record what they see. Teach them to find their way with a star map. Go over the parts of a ship (and mark out how big an average 15th century vessel was on the floor). Assign each student a job on the ship along with an area for their "berth" and let them see how packed it would be. Show pictures of different maps and how the Mercator map shaped geography study. Teach how to tie a simple knot.

Cover pirates. Go over the difference between pirates and privateers and show them a treasure map of the eastern coast. Oak Island is particularly interesting and sparks a lively discussion. Follow the lives of real pirates and what happened to them (including the female ones!) Show the students how to make a treasure map with invisible ink.

Cover sailing. Use a chip log and have one person record what they see. Teach them to find their way with a star map. Go over the parts of a ship (and mark out how big an average 15th century vessel was on the floor). Assign each student a job on the ship along with an area for their "berth" and let them see how packed it would be. Show pictures of different maps and how the Mercator map shaped geography study. Teach how to tie a simple knot.

Cover pirates. Go over the difference between pirates and privateers and show them a treasure map of the eastern coast. Oak Island is particularly interesting and sparks a lively discussion. Follow the lives of real pirates and what happened to them (including the female ones!) Show the students how to make a treasure map with invisible ink.

:iagree:

This book has tons of good ideas http://www.amazon.com/Sailors-Whalers-Fantastic-Sea-Voyages/dp/1556524757 Maybe your library has it?

Do you have any books or websites you recommend?

Do you have any books or websites you recommend?

I don't, I'm sorry. I remember using Piratology and the Piratepedia, but not much else. Usually I just pull what our library has. We tried using the Carry On Mr. Bowditch sample but it didn't fit my kids well (I get 2nd-6th history at co-op)

Now, whaddagot for Tall Tales and Legends? :bigear: That's my unit tomorrow. :D (we're doing American history this year!)