Menu

new TT Alg 2 v2.0

Beth in SW WA

Shameless plug. It works beautifully for dd9 who is working on alg 1 content this year. Great for parents who need hand-holding. The word problems are just right. Not too hard. Not too easy. Lots of spiral review. Tons of practice of concepts and computations.

It is much easier than the alg 2 that dd15 is using at private school (Prentice Hall). I consider TT Alg 2 on par with a traditional algebra 1 (not aops, of course).

Anyone else using the new 2.0 version for your young'ish alg students? How's it going?

We're using it with other resources. It feels good to have a set math plan for dd9 for the year.

:bigear:

Not using TT alg 2, but we used some other resources for alg 1 last year which weren't close to perfect for us (for a 9-10 year old), so I'm glad that it's working for you. We went through 1/3 of LoF Beginning Algebra, then got tired of Fred; then AoPS Intro to Alg, a good book but that style not a good fit for my student who didn't like not being able to solve most problems before looking at the solution; then Saxon Alg 1 but absent much real problem solving skills; and finally Jacobs Algebra start to finish. That worked the best for us of the above, but we found that it was necessary to supplement with word problems and applications. So, I'm also glad that the word problems are working for you, since that's sometimes lacking. We also used Khan Academy for review in last Spring, which our then 10yo liked for a change of pace. (This year using Jacobs Geometry and next year planning to use Prentice Hall Alg 2.) Continued good luck!

So, I'm also glad that the word problems are working for you, since that's sometimes lacking.

:iagree:

We come at word problems from a few different angles. I'm picking and choosing problems from various resources. Ben/Crewton Ramone does word problems/applications with my dds online. Real-world algebra problems with Ben are a kick.

I do use TT for my younger kids. My 9yo gets to "play" with TT Algebra 1, but he's not quite ready for the course yet. Give him 6 months, and he probably will be. It's one of his carrots.

Believe it or not, I worked with a student over the summer who had been through Honors Alg. 1 at the local middle school, and he simply could *not* do word problems. Not even TT. It was very sad.