Menu

Public to Homeschool Transitioning

Guest Puggles04

Guest Puggles04

Hi everyone..

My son is having a hard time transitioning to homeschool. I understand that it is going to take a while, and possibly much longer for him since he has ADHD and expressive language disorder. He may be on the spectrum. He still attends his previous school for speech therapy. He saw his teacher and was told about what class he was supposed to be in and who his classmates would have been. Since then, he has been upset because two of his friends would have been in his class this year from last year.

I am in the process of joining a homeschool group for him and his sister. The majority cost a decent amount of money that we cannot pay up front, so my husband and I are asking if they accept monthly payments and also looking for free groups.

He is 8 and has been in school since he was 2 due to various developmental delays. I am trying to make it more fun, and being the mom of 4 of kids(8, 7, 21m, & 3wk), it has been a bit chaotic...

Any & all advice is welcome....

It can take a little while for any child to transition to homeschooling. Add in a child like mine who doesn't like to transition to ANYTHING. It can take longer. No worries, it will happen, in time. If he can communicate what he is upset about and you can do something about it then try to. For example, my son was upset he would miss his Educational Assistant. She's a single lady so we invited her over for dinner one night and she stayed to play for a few hours.

My son was upset about not seeing his friend from spec-ed class. I arranged a play date. Then we saw them again at a community event.

My son was upset that the Principal would forget him (why I don't not know...) so we went to visit the Principal who was so happy to see us and invited us to come back for a visit any time. My son brought him a story he wrote by himself.

My son was concerned that school would never end each day. So, I stuck hard and fast for the first and second term to stopping at a specific time each day. We start school at the time he would have headed out to the bus and ended our day when he should have got off the bus, with lots of silly time between classes to help him transition from one class to another.

The third term, I gave him the list of what he had to accomplish each day and the responsibility of getting that done in a timely manner fell on his plate. It was hard at first, but he's starting to get it now.

Each child is different.

Also, I would ask the speech teacher to knock it off and stop talking about where he could have been. This is his reality and she better get with the program, ASAP.

Guest Puggles04

Thanks for the ideas. I think some of them might work. It was not his speech teacher that said that. He saw the teacher and his friends in the hall when he was dropped off for speech. It was one of those 'it was bound to happen' moments. =/ Oh well.

When we pulled our youngest, I immediately jumped right into homeschooling. In hindsight, I wished I had just given him time to chill. He was o.c.d.ing on the neighbor kids getting on the bus (and off), what subject to do at what time, art is on Mondays, etc, and the lack of peers.....he was miserable and very angry.

This year is much better, we joined a group, he met other homeschoolers, and he goes to a totally different school to take speech. His new speech teacher is his former speech teacher's best friend. She transferred out after his 2nd year (the school has a very controlling, toxic environment I.M.O.), and the new one was.......not good. He actually went BACKWARDS!!

So, maybe a change of scenery would help?

He's 8 so you have some time to slow down. Try starting the day with a fun activity.

Ask him what he'd like to learn about and let him pick books from the library. You might want to let him pick them on the library website, reserve them, and pick them up due to the ages of your kids. :)

It's little things that make a happy day for kids. Serve lunch one day in a fort. This can be as simple as a blanket thrown over your table and the kids eating lunch under the table. My kids love this.

Tell him often how much you love having him home and how much you love learning with him.

He'll adjust to the change. :001_smile: